Grand Princess 12/17-24/05

clucky

HOWEVER, when you post things in a sarcastic tone like "And I’m sure the “old cranky grannies” in Galveston wouldn’t appreciate that", I guess that kind of statement just doesn't come across very well.

I’m sorry – I was only repeating what was in the original post as an indication of how ridiculous it was. I assumed that anyone following the thread would have read the original post and made the connection.

Clucky, I did notice a lot of the things you were talking about on the Star princess. However, I didn't get a really bad attitude about it, and just made the best of a bad situation. I just chose to take my business elsewhere in the future. Aparently some of these things were acceptable to some of the customers, where it is not to you and I, so Instead of going into a debate over something you can not win at, and they can not win at because they like it, Don't start the bickering with the people that defend their cruise line, and do like I did! Book other lines.

Just my two cents

I’m sorry – I was only repeating what was in the original post as an indication of how ridiculous it was. I assumed that anyone following the thread would have read the original post and made the connection.

Bdjam,

I realize you were quoting the original post. While the original post shouldn't have included name calling (in my opinion), all I was trying to point out to you, was that your comments back to them sounded sarcastic and critical. Obviously, you have no problem being critical of people who have had a bad experiences, but I guess I don't agree that the original post was ridiculous. Certainly some statements on the original post were extreme. However, "clucky" was frustrated and had quite a few bad experience... Are you saying that "clucky" is wrong by getting frustrated when he/she has to wait in a line for hours while Princess has only a few people checking in hundreds, or thousands of people? To top that off, the few Princess employees who are checking people in are rude!?! While I find some of "clucky's" comments extreme, I don't think it is ridiculous to be upset at rude customer service reps and very poor planning on the part of Princess.

Bdjam, if you were in a line of 2,000 plus people for a couple of hours, being checked into your cruise by only seven Princess reps...with poor attitudes...how would you react? I would hardly think that you were being ridiculous if you got upset by that situation...

As I said earlier, I certainly appreciate your comments, and I am not looking for an argument. I am just curious what you or other critics would do if you faced problems in your cruise? When I get back from my cruise in a few weeks, if I experience problems during my cruise, should I not include those in my review? Should I ONLY mention the good and not warn others of potential problems or maybe tell them what to avoid? (I guess the difference is, I WILL include all the good things in my review along with the bad, and I can't fathom my cruise experience to be as negative as "clucky's")

Don't start the bickering with the people that defend their cruise line, and do like I did! Book other lines.

Just my two cents

I think that’s excellent advice and if my experiences with Princess were as bad as the original post, I would do the same thing.
That was your experience!!! Lets not forget that you are "friendly with numerous TOP Princess staff" so I am not sure your experience really is a fair comparison!!

I think there is an implication of nepotism in this statement, so allow me to fully explain it within the context of the original post in which it was made. On a different board as part of a thread discussing possible discrimination against gay passengers by RCI, I indicated that contrary to RCI’s policies, those at Princess – including at the corporate/employment level - were open and welcoming.

As an example I used the fact that I had friends who are gay who work in top positions at Princess. This fact is true. However, I don’t believe this is the reason I’ve not had service problems with Princess as I don’t have that many friends there – most of my sailings and all of my dealings at the land-based office have been without those friends nearby. It’s unfortunate because they are good people and I’m honored when I am in their company.

I don’t like the implication that I’ve received better treatment than others because I have friends – that is very far from the truth and it implies that my friend's character is not what it should be. It implies that they show favoritism and that is absolutely untrue - in fact they've taken good care of a good many passengers. It is unfortunate that statements made on other boards can't be communicated within their original context.

It's been a couple of days since I have read the original post...and after reading it again, I do have to say it's pretty extreme. Was there ANYTHING good they reported? Most of the stuff was pretty ludicrous... I suppose I just got caught up in "should people be critical of bad reviews" debate....

By the way, why hasn't Clucky responded to any of the replies in this thread??? Where are you Clucky??? While I appreciate various opinions and different views on cruising, is it typical that someone posts such an extreme review and then goes into hiding? What's the deal with that?

Bdjam, if you were in a line of 2,000 plus people for a couple of hours, being checked into your cruise by only seven Princess reps...with poor attitudes...how would you react? I would hardly think that you were being ridiculous if you got upset by that situation...

When I sailed on Westerdam a number of years ago, we embarked in Montreal. There was a tour group on the sailing previous to ours which brought on a respiratory virus, much like Legionnaire’s Disease. The Canadian health officials would not let any of the 1600 passenger board the ship until it was tested and determined safe. We experienced a delay of 32 hours which included attempts to get all of the passengers waiting to get onto the ship into various hotels overnight. Holland America sent all of the shore personnel to help that they could – it amounted to five people, but it was all the staff they could get together and they did the best they could.

Instead of understanding this was an unusual circumstance and being patient, many of those 1600 passenger became irate and berated those who were called from whatever they would be normally doing to help - reducing one young lady to tears. Could HAL have sent more people – perhaps. Was this a logistical nightmare? Probably. Was it right to be frustrated? Maybe. Was it right to take it out on HAL or it’s employees – I don’t think so – they did the best they could based on the circumstances. After seeing how ugly some people became, I vowed never to let that happen to me.

It sounds like due to limitations in Galveston, there might have been much the same situation with Grand Princess. So to answer your question, I would react as I vowed to – with patience and perhaps a bit of humor, especially with the poor Princess employees who I’m sure were receiving the wrath of many passengers all day long.

By the way, why hasn't Clucky responded to any of the replies in this thread??? Where are you Clucky??? While I appreciate various opinions and different views on cruising, is it typical that someone posts such an extreme review and then goes into hiding? What's the deal with that?

Our posts must have gone up at the same time. This type of thing happens often with these kinds of reviews. There tends to be a venting of rage and then the original poster disappears.

I'm only guessing here but, I think the orignal post while having a thread of truth was a JOKE. I have seldom been more impressed with ones (the OP) ability to push so many buttons and get so many people worked up. I'm sure Clucky has been laughing his/her head off at most of you folks. A similar thread was removed a few weeks ago, but Clucky really made the fool out of some of you.:p

I have seldom been more impressed with ones (the OP) ability to push so many buttons and get so many people worked up. I'm sure Clucky has been laughing his/her head off at most of you folks. :p

I could not agree with you more :D

The OP's review is the perfect fodder for those mega-poster's here who seem to think that their incestant posting's here somehow make their opinions more valuable than the normal everyday cruiser.. Enough Already

But not to worry, because who knows, after this thread is pulled or dies out maybe it will be resurected as "Is Clucky Relevant?"

Srpilo

I don't tjhink any cruise is as good as the first when you are a no nothing, unless that is a toytal disaster, I guess.

I am kind a a grump grampy now, so they better be good to me in 10 days on the Dawn or I will grump them to derth. I didn't want to use the dea... word.

Grumpy Grampy.

We were on this cruise and the check-in was a huge problem. Mis-communication was the biggest issue at every turn. We were among the first to arrive at the pier to deposit our luggage (as instructed by our TA and Princess earlier that week) before proceeding to the Hotel Galvez to check-in. No one at the port, including the Princess employees, had any idea that there was to be a different check-in procedure. From the time we left our hotel in Galveston until we were in our cabin was over 4 hours. After waiting in line at the Hotel Galvez, the Princess cruise rep that checked us in said, “Well, you expect to have to wait when you travel.”

At the time we were supposed to be sailing, the captain announced that 900 passengers had not boarded yet. Princess, knowing that this was not acceptable, credited each passenger $50. I would have preferred a smoother check-in, but the money was great. It was the only way they could actually “apologize” to the passengers for such a poorly planned and/or poorly executed process.

Apart from the check-in, we had a wonderful time!!! You make your magic!

I have enjoyed reading this post on a slow Tue afternoon. I don't know whether the OP was baiting everyone of not but I did enjoy the reply of bdjam. I am partial to Princess as it was my first crusie (Alaska in 1995) and while on board the medical staff saved my dad's life.

As for the cost of cruising I figure I pay for the round trip air, gas for the ship and salaries of staff, meals, entertainment, etc. What I make of what goes on is up to me. I guess I don't sweat the small stuff. Service has always been good on every ship I have been on, I don't expect to have my butt wiped!!! Just to do the best you can and hopefully with a smile once in a while. I don't expect to like everything, I guess I don't like everything that happens in daily living either. I had a few issues on my last cruise, but I still had a great time. (Do people expect too much today?)

As long as I am on a ship on the ocean, I'm happy. Here's to cruising!

Carol

Ok it was bad enough laughing at the original post, but BD Jam I was in stitches after reading your first reply I could not even read any further I have been laughing so hard. I have to read again tomorrow

Oh the majic contines!!! Go rah rah!!!

Hint: Always pack some mini's in case you find yourself in lines :)

We were on the same cruise. I hate to say it wasn't our best cruise. We had the worst maitre d's I've ever seen on a ship. On the other hand, the wait staff was decent and the food was pretty good, but I'm not too picky about the quality of food.

We were some of the first passengers on the ship. Embarkation couldn't have gone any smoother for us, but I think we were in the minority.

There were some things I was disappointed in, but overall, if you had purchased a suite, mini-suite, reg. balcony cabin or lower, it was a good deal for the money. We also saw holes in our Frette towels. We were in the Grand Suite and it was okay, but nothing to really rave about, as it was very comparable to our Cat. S Suite with HAL.

Princess needs to follow HAL's example when it comes to heavenly beds and pillows in the suites. And most of all, Princess needs to give those in suites priority for Anytime Dining.

All in all, it was a nice cruise for the money and we had a good time. I learned a long time ago that everything won't be absolutely perfect on my cruise, but it still beats being at home scrubbing toilets and doing laundry! ;)

All in all, it was a nice cruise for the money and we had a good time. I learned a long time ago that everything won't be absolutely perfect on my cruise, but it still beats being at home scrubbing toilets and doing laundry! ;)

You and I would get along just fine!

Archived