must change cruise date because school board changed when the kids go back to school

CruzCra-Z

I’m a teacher and a parent of three and can’t believe your last comment. “Teachers may be spiteful at the opportunity that they can’t have.....” Wow! How outrageous! Yes I’m serious. That statement is incredibly harsh and insulting to those in my profession.

How about this? I cruise annually (17 now) and have always waited for the next year’s finalized school calendar to come out before I book early saver. That way I know my work/ childrens’ schedules. Yes these trips are expensive and yes we work hard to save up for them. It’s called responsible planning around work and school. That’s my choice to book early saver. Choice is the operative word.

Our school policy is that students are not given work before they leave for a vacation but rather receive make up instruction and assignments after. Instructional pacing and understanding of the curriculum varies in the classroom and students need to learn the standards not just “do” the assignments.

As for early saver there are many things that can happen to affect sailing the booked week. It’s understood that you’re taking a risk for that price/type of booking. So yes potentially insurance may/may not cover the unexpected issues that arise such as illnesses, deaths, other work related changes. However this original poster booked way out thinking that the schedule was set. In most districts once a calendar is printed and sent out it is set in stone. If it changes that drastically after it’s been posted then shame on the district. Assuming a vacation week before it’s voted on is the issue here and not whether teachers will penalize or be spiteful to their students for taking a vacation planned by their parents.

I seriously doubt the schedule was set that far out. I think OP was just assuming the 2019 start date would be the same as 2018. I think that’s too much to assume..and cutting it close to cruise the week before the day you think school will start the year after next. A different rate should’ve been booked under those circumstances.

I’m a teacher and a parent of three and can’t believe your last comment. “Teachers may be spiteful at the opportunity that they can’t have.....” Wow! How outrageous! Yes I’m serious. That statement is incredibly harsh and insulting to those in my profession.

How about this? I cruise annually (17 now) and have always waited for the next year’s finalized school calendar to come out before I book early saver. That way I know my work/ childrens’ schedules. Yes these trips are expensive and yes we work hard to save up for them. It’s called responsible planning around work and school. That’s my choice to book early saver. Choice is the operative word.

Our school policy is that students are not given work before they leave for a vacation but rather receive make up instruction and assignments after. Instructional pacing and understanding of the curriculum varies in the classroom and students need to learn the standards not just “do” the assignments.

As for early saver there are many things that can happen to affect sailing the booked week. It’s understood that you’re taking a risk for that price/type of booking. So yes potentially insurance may/may not cover the unexpected issues that arise such as illnesses, deaths, other work related changes. However this original poster booked way out thinking that the schedule was set. In most districts once a calendar is printed and sent out it is set in stone. If it changes that drastically after it’s been posted then shame on the district. Assuming a vacation week before it’s voted on is the issue here and not whether teachers will penalize or be spiteful to their students for taking a vacation planned by their parents.

Hi, there was one year in returning and asking for missed work. End up being almost two weeks because of a hurricane the boat was unable to take us home the teacher said " well she would have to get somebody book to copy from. I can't go over the work. She wasn't sick, I would like to go on a cruise too but I am not as lucky. "

Teacher would then proceed to drop remarks if my daughter wasn't up to speed. Luckily my daughter is working a class above her she and caught up by end of term.

this is in no way insulting the teaching profession. I actually tip my hat to you since you do what I can never do. But as I had mentioned I am from a different country from you all. Our school system is different. As far as I know absenteeism only affects when you are at college or university. Not saying our government is not concerned, but there are kids who goes to school probably a total 5 weeks out of a 13 week term.

side tracked a bit

since flying out to board a ship is very expensive. We embark from the country we live. There are only about 20 cabins assigned every sailing to my elaboration port. We do not get past guest, military or elderly specials. We like the quad cabins to save money and they fill up quite quickly.

There are some instances where someone cancels and they advertise a cheap fare in newspaper 2-3 months before cruise but then I have to choose my vacation dates the year before (Oct 2018 for 2019) once you choose those dates they are set in stone unless emergency or sick. So I book my cruise then book vacation to suit. After the last episode with teacher we all agree to pay (half a week's pay for some in our group) the extra to go earlier in the year.

Oh another difference with school system is ours is free. There are no boards or committee for each school or district.

Which is a shame so many young people waste the opportunity.

I'm not sure that there's much you can do. I think the post stating that you will just have to eat the 200.00 is true.... cost of having kids (and really... in the grand scheme of things, not too much to lose). Once had a post where I was pulling my kiddo out of school for a cruise and I actually started it off with " I have permissions from all the teachers and the Principal of the school". It was amazing to me how many people wanted to tell me how awful I was for taking away from my child's education and what kind of lesson are you teaching your kid, etc.... Guess what??? They survive and continue to get good grades without one week of school (especially the first week - which is typically just a summary of what they did the previous year). Either way, I hope everything works out. I know it's a bummer to have the schedule changed last minute.

Walmart Greeter? McDonalds Cook? CEO of Goldman Sachs? VP of Valero?

Rare would be a person who would quit a job that paid well with decent benefits just to take a cruise. Not to say you did...but you didn't say that was not the case either.

Yeah my wife threatened to quit her job once because her boss did not want to give her the day off to see our kid play in a Texas State Band concert.

Sounds brave and bold....until I give the rest of the story....she is an RN and worked part time. She would have a new job within 24 hours. Devil is in the details.

My "quit" actually coincided with my retirement by a few months. I just retired sooner than later to do the cruise...LOL

No, I'd never have simply walked off that job because of not being able to go on a cruise. I was well paid with a great pension and benefits..and was able to retire at 49!:D:D

It's tough when you have to plan family travels when everyone has a different schedule or they're changed all the time..

Hi, there was one year in returning and asking for missed work. End up being almost two weeks because of a hurricane the boat was unable to take us home the teacher said " well she would have to get somebody book to copy from. I can't go over the work. She wasn't sick, I would like to go on a cruise too but I am not as lucky. "

Teacher would then proceed to drop remarks if my daughter wasn't up to speed. Luckily my daughter is working a class above her she and caught up by end of term.

this is in no way insulting the teaching profession. I actually tip my hat to you since you do what I can never do. But as I had mentioned I am from a different country from you all. Our school system is different. As far as I know absenteeism only affects when you are at college or university. Not saying our government is not concerned, but there are kids who goes to school probably a total 5 weeks out of a 13 week term.

side tracked a bit

since flying out to board a ship is very expensive. We embark from the country we live. There are only about 20 cabins assigned every sailing to my elaboration port. We do not get past guest, military or elderly specials. We like the quad cabins to save money and they fill up quite quickly.

There are some instances where someone cancels and they advertise a cheap fare in newspaper 2-3 months before cruise but then I have to choose my vacation dates the year before (Oct 2018 for 2019) once you choose those dates they are set in stone unless emergency or sick. So I book my cruise then book vacation to suit. After the last episode with teacher we all agree to pay (half a week's pay for some in our group) the extra to go earlier in the year.

Oh another difference with school system is ours is free. There are no boards or committee for each school or district.

Which is a shame so many young people waste the opportunity.

I did not realize you were from another country. In our country a principal or higher administrator would intervene if a teacher behaved or spoke that way. That being said the original poster chose to assume when the school year would begin. My argument is never assume and make your choice of early saver based on a school calendar that is voted on. Also realize other factors can come into play with early saver. I take my chances but carefully plan around the things I am sure of like my school calendar.

I seriously doubt the schedule was set that far out. I think OP was just assuming the 2019 start date would be the same as 2018. I think that’s too much to assume..and cutting it close to cruise the week before the day you think school will start the year after next. A different rate should’ve been booked under those circumstances.

Exactly. How can you assume that and then expect Carnival to waive the restrictive fees? I’m far from perfect;) but I don’t book until about a year out with early saver until the next year school calendar is voted on and made public.

I have taken my kids out of school for my last 3 vacations and will be doing so again this October. I hate them missing school but I also hate paying an extra $1,000+ for the same experience and amenities.. Anyway, I tell the school in advance that they will be gone and they send them home with a packet. If you are flying to port I use the time stuck in an airplane which is wasted time anyway for them to do it. If not travelling by plane there is still downtime to do a bit each day. They usually do not send ALL the work they would have been doing if they were in school but enough to get credit. My kids also have never been penalized for missing school on these planned vacations because they were notified and "homeschool" work was given. The schools main concern is getting their money from the state...if they are not technically "absent" they still get their money. But some schools may be more lenient and also depends on the age of the child and if they were missing anything they could set them behind. Typically I try to miss school within the first few weeks or around the holidays because I know they will not be doing anything important or testing at that time.