A-B-C... Alberto Beryl Chris

PelicanBill

Usually A B C means something else to cruisers but the first 3 named storms of the season have already happened.

Alberto did some heavy rain on the gulf coast....

Beryl dissipated to a wave before it crossed the leewards near Dominica and Martinique...

now we have Chris reaching hurricane strength off the east coast near North Carolina. Impact to cruises? Not yet. NCL Dawn and Anthem of the Seas are in Bermuda now, NCL Escape and Celebrity Summit headed there yesterday ahead of the storm path.

If forecast holds, Chris will hang out in a tight circle today and tomorrow, then get picked up and to the typical accelerating move northeast to toward the Canadian Maritimes.

That should allow the Escape and Summit to return around the backside of the storm.

The ones to watch, I think, are Anthem and Dawn. Dawn is supposed to be enroute to Boston on Thursday where the storm is forecast to be. Anthem is supposed to be at sea Wednesday enroute to New York, and that seems too close for comfort.

Of course storm forecasts rarely stay the same for 3 days so I'm watching to see if we have the first itinerary changes of the season.

Hi... my wife is on the Anthem and i have been tracking the storm. I believe they need to delay their departure 24 hrs to sneak under the storm. Leaving on schedule tonight piuts them smack in the middle of a possible hurricane

I am currently on the Dawn. The captain made an announcement yesterday (as we departed Bermuda) that we will sail south for a little and then west to avoid the Hurricane all together. He also anticipates an ontime arrival in Boston.

As Scendro mentioned the Anthem took the same path staying on the southern edge of the storm and staying below the real nasty weather. They encountered some rough water but nothing too bad. They were actually able to reopen the pools mid day yesterday so it turned out to be a good call to navigate south. This Storm strengthened very quickly from out of the blue and just reminds us that while cruising in the summer/ fall there is always a risk of Mother Nature releasing a violent storm