Bonine?

skm

I went fishing on a small fishing boat in Sandusky Bay (Lkae Erie) The water was somewhat choppy and making me sway around. I got a headache (alomst like a migrain) but can't really say an upset stomach. I just didn't like being moved around so much. Is this being seasick? I ask because I've never cruised and I bought Bonine to be safe. The ?'s are...

1) Should I start to take the Bonine "just incase" before we start to cruise? (I don't want to feel drowsy during the cruise and sleep it away)

2) Wait to take Bonine and see how thing go?

3) Take ginger?

4) Take something for migrains?

Thanks, SKM

My thought is, if in doubt, take the bonine. We had friends on a recent cruise that had motion sickness but decided to wait until they felt some type of illness to take the bonine. She never seemed right the whole cruise. I, too, have felt motion sickness in a car and while fishing in Lake Erie. I decided that I didn't want to take a chance and took 2 pills before we sailed. Never had one tinge of sickness. Would pop another pill here and there if I felt the ship rocking. We have been in some semi rough waters and never been sick. Yes, it will make you somewhat drowsy but that's better than sick. Try not to think about it too much. Sometimes I think that is half the battle. I know that many give other remedies to this problem but I have never trusted any other than bonine which I know works for me. Here's hoping for smooth sailing for all!!!

I agree...I don't often get queasy, but I always take Bonine before we sail just to be sure and take one each day if the seas are rough or, obviously, we're going to be in port. One a day and you're covered. I've found that it's best to take at night. Never feel sleepy the next day (Dramamine, on the other hand, is like a sleeping pill). Ginger Ale works well to settle mild queasiness as do ginger pills and wrist bands. I've not used them but others swear by them.

Have you considered the TransDerm-Scop Patch. You just place 1 small patch behind your ear the day before you leave and change it every 3 days. It is very effective. It Does require a Dr. Prescription but should be covered by your insurance if you have any.

I always try to find a departing passenger and ask how the seas were coming in. If I can't find one or question what they tell me, I ask a few crew members. I also look at ships krooz-cams the day before we leave (to see sea conditions) if possible. TIme of year and departure city also figure into my Bonine 'plans'.

There are some cruises that I never take anything but others...NYC in fall-spring...that I may take a 1/2 Bonine before we sail...just in case.

If I took 2 Bonine...I would be sleeping for a few days. Dramamine, can you say COMA, doesn't work for me unless I want to sleep for the week:eek:

I rarely get seasick on a cruise ship, but put me on a fishing boat, or some of the ferrys and I'm green.

My husband and I use the electric Relief bands and they work fabulously well. no side affects. Bonnie and any Meclizine product should not be used if you drink alcohol at all. and as you say make you sleepy, try it before your cruise to see how it will affect you.

The Patch is also dangerous if you drink or if you have one of several other things including High blood pressure.

I don't take anything while on the ship because they are bigger and don't move around as much as small boats. Though sometimes in rougher waters I get kind of a slightly intoxicated feeling, but don't mind it... Kinda enjoy it actually because I save on my bar tab! :D

I do take Dramamine Non-Drowsey when ever I go out on the dive boats. It cost a little bit more, but I've never had any side effects with this.

Hi,

DW & DS both get motion sickness and have never had a problem on the 2 cruises they have been on..What they do is the day before we board they start taking Bonine (which is nondrowsy) and then every morning like they are taking vitamins

I hope this helps:)

For those traveling with children, be sure to check with your pediatrician before giving over the counter drugs (I'm an RN). Some are not for children under 12 and you do need to be sure of dosage for all kids. Always remember that gingerale and fresh air often work wonders.

Here's a website with current and forcast marine weather/sea states:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/

Thanks Jedidad, but way to much to look at for me:D . Much easier to ask someone;)

That water temp will be going down...it is FREEZING here...40 right now and dropping. Was in the Orlando area today visiting, Friend said he had to scrape ICE off of his car window this morning:eek:

Archived