What happened to the airfare prices WAY HIGH

momofslg

I've been searching for airfare from Columbus, Ohio (CMH) to San Juan (SJU)and the fares jumped by $200.00pp over night. They were $395.00pp and now they are $591.pp .I'm hoping that fares will come WAY DOWN if I wait a little longer. We're not cruising until October 8. If anyone can help me find a deal I'd be appreciative. I want to fly in on October 7 and return October 15. Thank you.

Perhaps the cost of jet fuel, employee health care, pensions, landing fees, maintenance, terminal rent etc., keep rising. They pass it along to the customer resulting in higher airfares.

Indy did fly to SJU. Not sure of the frequency, but their SJU-IAD A319 yesterday was one of their last flights before shutdown.

But airfares do fluctuate on a day to day basis, especially this far out. When I booked last April for this month, the prices were down, and promptly went up a couple hundred dollars that week, then went down again, before going up. Same thing in October when I had to cancel that air and re-book. You'll just have to watch the fares and book when you feel comfortable.

I just had the same experience. We are pricing airfare from PIT to SJU for July. I have been watching it at about $380 which was very good, especially for nonstop, plus the times were great. We are meeting with the 2 other couples this weekend to make plans and WOW...the airfare for that same flight jumped up to over $700!

I had a feeling that the magical date of Jan. 5th might have had something to do with it and Ind. Air.

Please assure me that it will come back down. I check every day and at this point do have cruise air scheduled, but don't have to make my final payment until April.

For those who have access to Spirit Airlines, they are currently running a sale for flights to SJU. Flights must be booked by January 9th. For example, depending on day of the week, one-way flights from New York to San Juan range from $99 to $149 plus taxes.

Those who monitor airfares will see a lot of fluctuation from day to day (and even hour to hour). At one time there was a website that would show one the historical fluctuation for a particular airport pair. Unfortunately, I don't believe that information is shown at the current time. And, while the US DOT does publish average fares by city pair each quarter, it doesn't include SJU.

I am also looking for airfare to San Jaun via Detroit or Chicago. $400.00 seemd to be the going rate. I am going to be patient and wait a couple more months not cruising until last part Oct 2006 . I keep hearing if you wait the fare will get a bit cheaper . I know not always the case. But since i have 9 months it isnt going to hurt anything.

I will be more than willing to drive to another airport IF I can get a great deal. While I prefer to fly out of CMH (10 minutes from home) CLE, PIT, & DTW are alternatives if I can find a better deal. I'm hoping to find a flight for < $400.00 pp including all taxes with no more than 1 layover. I'm not too worried about times on the way but on the return I need to get off the ship, so nothing before 12:30pm. Travel dates 10/07/2006---10/15/2006. If anyone is searching and finds a deal please let me know.

Thanks,

Lisa

I just did a search on Kayak.com and found a $380 per person fare on United out of Pittsburgh for your dates and times. That doesn't include taxes and fees but it would be around your $400 per person mark.

Archived