Booked with Blexie read this posting

Stevanb

I really didn’t want to write about this but since it has become abusive and embarrassing,I guess I have to address about it. People coming on cruise ships to visit Havana have shown interests on helping the Cuban people.They have been committed to spend their money and time to bring gifts for the people here in Cuba.Suddenly, at Cuban customs,they have been stopped and their gifts have gotten confiscated. Cuban authorities have advised that they don’t want tourists bringing gifts (which I call them necessary items that our government can’t provide sometimes). It boils my blood seeing things like that,seeing how Cuban people that are supposed to care about us do nothing but hurting us (again and again). What I recommend is : -Don’t bring an extra bag for gifts. -Tell the items in your bag are for personal use. -Unpack (unbox) the items so they don’t look brand new. -Don’t let them confiscate the stuff.They make it look like a big deal but most of them just want to keep the stuff (sad). Blexie

Many people, including those from US, Brazil, Cuba and elsewhere, are quick to criticize their own government, like this statement above. (And of course, all have shortcomings that can improve.)

Please note the wording though:

"tourists bringing gifts......necessary items that our government can’t provide SOMETIMES"

Note the word "sometimes". There are often shortages of one item or another, occasionally, but most items are available. It might take a bit more effort running around town to find them than you are used to at home, but eventually most things appear on the market, especially in Havana. The utter lack of things that occurred right after the Soviets pulled out in the 1990s, the situation that gave rise to the original posts about donations that have outlived their usefulness, does not really exist today.

I don't know how to post a photo here, but I have them, of pharmacies with full shelves, that may show you that you don't have to bring toothbrushes to unfortunate Cubans who don't have basic toiletries.

Also, the advice about unboxing items so they do not seem new works if you are coming through Aduana with all your luggage at the airport, but is not really applicable to cruise passengers