motion sickness - how important is cabin location?

newbie280106

Hi,

I'm cruising for the first time of VOS and a bit worried about motion sickness since I'm not so great in general with that.

When we booked we made sure we had a room that was approx centre of the boat (front to back and top to bottom) since that is what we had heard was best.

Now, the cabins are going on sale and we can upgrade while saving money or for a small fee to a balcony room (we're currently in an M interior). Problem is that it would be a 'guaranteed' room so we'd have no clue where our cabin would be.

how important is cabin location in your experience???

I have motion sickness easily and our first cruise we were towards the front and lowest deck and with dramine had no problem. Next cruise we were 4 deck up and felt slight movement. I am very prone to motion sickness though. I will just take dramine or ginger pills and we have book a guarantee and hoping for upgrade and we prefer to be a little higher up.

If the seas are calm, even a cabin that is far forward won't feel much more movement than one in the center. If the seas are rough, being really far forward is the worst place to be, but no matter where you are on the ship you will feel movement. I've only had one cruise where the seas were rough enough to give people problems - concidentally that was the very same one that I happened to book the far forward, top deck of the ship cabin. I had no problems with sea sickness, my mother did, but what we determined is that even if we had been at the bottom of the ship in the middle, she would've had a problem.

I would take the risk and book the balcony guarantee just to have the balcony and the extra room, especially since it isn't much more than your current interior cabin. It is well worth it to me.

It turns out that all of the E2's are on decks 6 and 7 and are fairly centraly located. However the guarantee is for an E2 or higher and the other balcony rooms E1 and D's are at the front and back.

Also, one last question, deck 5 is shops and bars and I'm wondering if sound might be a problem.

My husband has a tendency towards seasickness, and he definitely notices a difference in the different parts of the ship. There are times when being in a theater or lounge in the front of the ship is very unpleasant for him.

Archived