I snore, like a freight train, Help!

isabellmybell

Hi yall, I need your help! I snore like a freight train. Yep folks, 1 in every 10 women snore and that would be me. I have tried the nose thingys, don't work for me. I hope to find a cheap dentist that can make me a mouth piece before we leave for our cruise. But in case I can't get it done in time, anyone out there have any quick fixes?? My daughter is going to make me sleep on deck, should I bring my own pillow and blanket??:eek:

Hi yall, I need your help! I snore like a freight train. Yep folks, 1 in every 10 women snore and that would be me. I have tried the nose thingys, don't work for me. I hope to find a cheap dentist that can make me a mouth piece before we leave for our cruise. But in case I can't get it done in time, anyone out there have any quick fixes?? My daughter is going to make me sleep on deck, should I bring my own pillow and blanket??:eek:

My DH snores. He sounds more like a Harley to me than a frieght train, but that is neither here nor there. We tried everything, the nose bands, sprays, etc. The only thing I've found that helps me is a "white noise" machine. It's not perfect and sometimes he still does wake me up, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before we got the sound machine.

You might want to try bringing along some ear plugs for your daughter. Invest more than 50 cents to get a good pair;), otherwise they'll just pop out of her ear canals. Apparently I've begun to "purr" lately (as DH puts it so nicely), and the odd time he's had to insert ear plugs in order to get some rest. Funny, I never used to "purr" ... can't think why I've started lately. Must have something to do with a 50th birthday, I guess!:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My husband's snoring has reduced considerably by using a memory foam contoured (no snore) type pillow. He sleeps on his side with this special pillow and it makes a world of difference. Heavy snoring is bad for your health, so it would be worthwhile to investigate more ways to deal with it if you can.

Try to lose some weight.

My partner and I both snored terribly, so much we would sleep in different rooms at home. We both decided to go on a diet (LA Weight Loss). He lost 80 lbs, I lost sixty, and we both lost our snoring. Also Alcohol has a lot to do with it, don't drink heavily, and try not to drink a couple hours before bed.

One more suggestion, sleep on your side. It does help. If you tend to roll over, take a belt with a roll of paper towels, or a towel and attach it around your waist with the towel rolled up and tucked in behind you. This will stop you from rolling over onto your back as you sleep.

Hope that might help a little:confused:

Dave:eek:

Tee Hee! I can definately relate. My former husband used to drive me crazy with his snoring . . . little did I know that one day . . . I would have the same problem. I'll be crusing with my son this time next year and he too has threatened to make me sleep out on the balcony. If you find a solution . . . please share . . . :(

This is a sign of a serious health problem that can cause heart problems.

Been there . . . had the test and I'm fine. I just snore like a freight train and sleep like a baby. Doctor says it just might have something to do with being 59 (or will be on January 13th). The only thing he said was not to drink alcohol (I don't) and sleep on my side (I do). Of course, my dog snores too . . . maybe it's hereditary . . . :eek:

Been there . . . had the test and I'm fine. I just snore like a freight train and sleep like a baby. Doctor says it just might have something to do with being 59 (or will be on January 13th). The only thing he said was not to drink alcohol (I don't) and sleep on my side (I do). Of course, my dog snores too . . . maybe it's hereditary . . . :eek:

Glad to hear that you had it checked and are fine. :)

Try to lose some weight.

My partner and I both snored terribly, so much we would sleep in different rooms at home. We both decided to go on a diet (LA Weight Loss). He lost 80 lbs, I lost sixty, and we both lost our snoring. Also Alcohol has a lot to do with it, don't drink heavily, and try not to drink a couple hours before bed.

One more suggestion, sleep on your side. It does help. If you tend to roll over, take a belt with a roll of paper towels, or a towel and attach it around your waist with the towel rolled up and tucked in behind you. This will stop you from rolling over onto your back as you sleep.

Hope that might help a little:confused:

Dave:eek:

You are so right, & if all else fails, give them a good whack :D !!!

:) Oh, my gosh! What a great response! Thanks everyone. I don’t drink very often or very much, don’t smoke, sleep on my side, have gained way too much weight in the last 10 years and will be 52 soon. I have been in a sleep study, I failed, I couldn’t sleep, and had super high blood pressure in the morning, and so they booted me from the study. I take ambien to sleep and it works so good that as a rule I sleep right thru all my self made noise. I never had allergies until I moved to OK, and now I have them ALL the time. I took earplugs for my kids on our last cruise, kids said they didn’t work, I sure hope the dentist I know will be able to see me and make me a mouth piece before we go, without too much pinch on the pocket book! Anyway, thank you to everyone for all your help, and keep the remedies coming.

:) Oh, my gosh! What a great response! Thanks everyone. I don’t drink very often or very much, don’t smoke, sleep on my side, have gained way too much weight in the last 10 years and will be 52 soon. I have been in a sleep study, I failed, I couldn’t sleep, and had super high blood pressure in the morning, and so they booted me from the study. I take ambien to sleep and it works so good that as a rule I sleep right thru all my self made noise. I never had allergies until I moved to OK, and now I have them ALL the time. I took earplugs for my kids on our last cruise, kids said they didn’t work, I sure hope the dentist I know will be able to see me and make me a mouth piece before we go, without too much pinch on the pocket book! Anyway, thank you to everyone for all your help, and keep the remedies coming.

Do you think you could hold your breath until morning? My husband claims that I snore (I think he just wants something to complain about). It doesn't bother me! Anyway check with your local health food store they sell sprays that my brother in law swears by. He eventually had some kind of surgery to reduce his snoring, but he used the spray and breathe right strips and they seemed to reduce the snoring.

Good luck..........Maybe if you start practicing holding your breath now you will have worked up the length by the time you cruise!:D

Isabellmybell - PLEASE for you own sake - locate an Otolarynologist, and have him or her examine you! Chances are you do have sleep apnea, and being booted out of the sleep study center will not do you any good.

My husband had to go through three separate doctors - two Pulmonologists, and finally an Otolarynologist before he was finally helped! He has SEVERE sleep apnea, and now sleeps like a baby (and so do I) with his CPAP machine. He failed FOUR sleep studies, (each time because he could not sleep enough) and was told there was nothing they could do to prove whether or not he had apnea. Nonsense! Finally the Otolarynologist was determined to get to the bottom of the problem, and my husband's health is drastically improved in a multitude of ways with his improved sleep.

Loud snoring is a very serious issue, and really should be pursued until you find some real answers.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. :o Sorry to be longwinded about it, but we went through so much to get to the truth, and I'm just so happy to have a husband who sleeps all night, and peacefully now! ;)

Hey yall, thanks for all the help! I’m going to overstock to find that pillow, the health store to find the spray, getting more nose thingys, better ear plugs for the kids. To the gym with my daughter to start to lose some of this weight, and Monday I will look for the Dr you mentioned. Was it covered by your insurance? I have federal blue cross. Oh yes, I am going to practice on holding my breath if all else fails.:o Hehe, thanks again yall, your response has been great and keep the ideas coming.:D

Gayle,

I have blue cross also and they cover the doctors visits, sleep study, CPAP machine and monthly replacement of hose, mask or nasal pillows and filters. All policies are different but it is a very common disorder. You will be amazed at how much better the CPAP machine will make you feel.

Good luck.

mcboo:)

This is a sign of a serious health problem that can cause heart problems.

I think it might be more accurate this could be a sign of a serious health problem. It isn't necessarily so. DH has had tests and he is fine. He does need to lose some weight and in the past when he has done that it did considerably lessen his snoring. But the damn weight snuck back up on him. It has a way of doing that when no one is looking. :o

There was a thing on the NBC news last night about a new treatment for sleep apnea. They insert these little things into the soft pallet that then form scar tissue which keeps the pallet from going soft during sleep. (I think that's how it works!) Anyway, they said they had something like a 80% success rate with this. Might be worth checking into for all of you with sleep apnea.

My hubby had a horrible sleep apnea issue and had the surgery. It was the worse 10 day recovery period, but totally worked and we are all sleeping much better now!

My husband snoring keeps me awake even when he's not snoring like a train, Harley or any other vehicle. Sleeping in another room helps. :) But when on vacation sharing a room I use the little foam ear plugs that can be found at any drug or discount store. They work well, and I've never had any problem with them falling out.

This doesn't address the root cause of snoring, but it sure helps the roommate.

Thanks everybody! I ordered a new pillow, got the spray, and plugs. Will see if I can get my dr to recommend the sleep study n all. Now the losing the weight is really going to be the hard one. I'm still going to try to get the one demist I know of to make me a mouthpiece. Thanks again guys, and keep the ideas coming!:D

Just talked to my son and he promised not to make me sleep on the balcony because of my snoring (though he did threaten to do just that over the holidays) . . . Tee Hee! He said he was going to bring his heavy duty ear plugs (he's a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard and apparently they wear these ear plugs on the flight line). I mean if they can block the sound of a jet plane . . . hopefully they'll work for my snoring . . . :D

Archived