Traveling with prescriptions question

Quick question here: My parents are going on a cruise next week and need to know if they will need to take the actual prescription bottles for every medications they have OR can they pack a weekly supply in those travel med packages and the prescription bottles at home? Thanks in advance for responses.

I've learned the hard way....once we took only what we needed, our trip was extended and we didn't have enough meds, no containers cause we just used the daily pill box and we ran out....never again... now we take the original bottles, even though they are the large 3 month supply. I also make a copy of our mail order so all the info is handy if needed.

DH and I are like a walking drug store.....LOL. Between us we have over 10 meds, not counting the ones we both have to take if we need to see a dentist and before any dental work, aspirins and vitamins, Tums, and a few other what ails ya stuff. :D I use gallon zip lock baggies, one for each of us.

I agree that they need to be prepared just in case they get delayed. I just take an extra week's worth with me. (I guess I am hoping for a really extended vacation?) I have HUGE bottles and don't want to take up extra space with them. They need to do what makes them feel comfortable.

P.S. I have never had my meds checked, and I even have injectable meds. Of course those are in prepackaged doses, but they haven't even looked at them.

I usually take the bottles with me. It has on the label what it is, dosage, doctor & pharmacy phone number on it. I also take my insulin with us when we go, needles, test strips, swabs, all that stuff and have never been asked about it from anyone. But I do have a written note from my doctor that I am diabetic and need these supplies.

Legally, in most states, it is against the law to carry any prescription drugs except in the original container. However, I've never heard of it enforced. I believe it is mainly on the books for when they catch a dealer, it's something they can charge them with to hold them during an investigation.

I carry mine in the daily containers but carry the bottles just in case I need them.

If at all possible, I would suggest they take their prescriptions in the original bottles. They should have enough for the length of their cruise plus a few extra days. Also, should those bottles be lost, I have seen it suggested that they get prescriptions from the doctor for refills should this happen. All prescription medication should be brought aboard in a purse or carryon. Never pack them in checked luggage.

You're probably fine for any ordinary prescription drugs even if they are not in the original container. My 90 day supply of one drug comes in a jar that is about 7 inches tall and a good three inches in diameter. Someone like my mother who took eight or nine different drugs would have needed a separate (non-checked!) suitcase to carry all of the original containers. What I would do is to make sure that any controlled drugs are in their original containers, and get your doctor or pharmacist to give you a printout of all the drugs you are taking, their chemical names, dosage and frequency. This can be a real help if you lose a bottle or if you get sick and need help onboard. Brand names are not necessarily the same in other countries, and even drugs with the nominally same brand name might represent a different chemical.

Cheers,

Barb

Archived