Zeno or anyone Cane Garden Bay Beach

lyndaedris

Can you tell me about this beach? We are only in tortola from 7AM to 1 on Mon. Feb. 6 NCL Spirit. Can't do much but would love to go to a nice beach.

Zeno, you recommended this to me. What is it like, how far from the ship?

Any trouble getting taxis to and from the beach etc.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

We went to Cane Garden Beach this past November. We loved it. You can rent chairs ($5) and umbrellas (?), but we did not. We enjoyed the beach for free! Taxi's are easy to get and not as chaotic as in St. Thomas. The taxi ride was $6 each person, each way.

Enjoy your trip! We're going back again this November :)

Just remember that Cane Garden is on the North side of the island (opposite from where you dock). So be sure that you keep track of time and have taxi pick you up on the beach. Most taxi drivers will agree to come back when you want them to do so AND some don't accept money until the return trip. There is a little known beach (Long Beach - not the one at the opposite end of the island) that is usually rather deserted - you might ask about that one as well - no action there, just a beautiful beach.

Can you tell me about this beach? We are only in tortola from 7AM to 1 on Mon. Feb. 6 NCL Spirit. Can't do much but would love to go to a nice beach.

Zeno, you recommended this to me. What is it like, how far from the ship?

Any trouble getting taxis to and from the beach etc.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

Hi Lynda:

As others have already said Cane Garden is on the other side of the island. If memory serves me correctly it was about a 15-20 minute drive. The drive up over the hills is a little exciting but gorgeous. The taxi fare is probably in line with what ricksandy quoted (It's been about 6 years since I was there and the taxi was a little cheaper then). There may also be some open air jitney buses taking people to Cane garden. Given your limited time on the island, head over there as soon as you get off the ship and return NO LATER than noon. Any extra time you have before boarding time you can use to briefly check out the stores (there is a little shopping area near the cruiseship dock). While there will probably be taxis hanging out at Cane Garden, you may feel safer arranging with a driver to pick you up (at say 11:30-11:45) - that way if he does not show up you still have some time to find another taxi.

Even with your limited time, it is worth it to go to Cane Garden (the ride there alone makes it worthwhile).

Archived