Hair braiding for the ladies Western Carib

jmeincke

I've seen it in all those parts, but expect that Mexico was the best price. GC is not known for bargains.

It always amazes me how many people get this done, it may be a nice tropical souvenir but it's not flattering to everyone and must be murder to get out! :) Kids usually look pretty cute though.

I'm sure you will find some place reasonable, and the braiders are plentiful.

Not to gross you out but make sure that you take your own comb/pick so that your daughter doesn't get lice. I've read a few articles about people getting this because the combs aren't cleaned or the persons fingernails aren't clean. Never had any personal experience so just use your judgement. Have also heard it really breaks off the hair. Sorry to be a downer just think you should have all the information. Have a great time otherwise.

Not to gross you out but make sure that you take your own comb/pick so that your daughter doesn't get lice. I've read a few articles about people getting this because the combs aren't cleaned or the persons fingernails aren't clean. Never had any personal experience so just use your judgement. Have also heard it really breaks off the hair. Sorry to be a downer just think you should have all the information. Have a great time otherwise.

OOO never thought of that!!

It always amazes me how many people get this done, it may be a nice tropical souvenir but it's not flattering to everyone and must be murder to get out! :) Kids usually look pretty cute though.

I have to agree ~ braiding on most adults looks pretty darn bad unless you have heavy extensions woven it and even then, it only looks good on a few people. Some kids DO look cute, but I sure would hate to be the mom who has to pick out all those TINY TIGHT braids on a squealing youngster. Not my idea of a good time!

By the way, quite a few places that offer hair braiding also offer "temporary" black henna tattoos. I've seen these on any number of kids and they can really present some problems. I would not allow a child of mine to get one nor would I have one done myself. Traditional red henna mehndi tattoos are entirely different.

Take a look at these sites before you get a BLACK temporary tattoo or cave in to the desires of your children to let them get one!:

http://www.expat.or.id/medical/blackhennareactions.html

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/smallbroch1.pdf

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

http://www.hennacrazy.com/blackhenna.htm

add me to the list of folks who think that the gals who get their hair braided tend to look a bit foolish. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.. but the only woman I've seen braids enhance was Bo Derek.. and she didn't need much enhancement.. *L*

LICE!:eek: At least we'd be able to sing "I've got you under my skin" with feeling! Seriously....I wouldn't want to bring home any souvenir that could smile back at me. Could you interest your DD in a nice t-shirt?:)

P8236781.jpg

How about a man getting his chest hair braided on Goff's Cay in Belize!!

I took this photo of a fellow passenger.

Photocruiser

OK, is this guy really getting his chest hair braided or is she pulling off the duct tape since he wasn't a good tipper???? :confused:

Inquirin minds need to know!

Les

Last January we were in Costa Maya and my daughter and her friend had their hair braided and it started falling out that very same night. I wouldn't complain except for the fact that the year before my DD had it done in Bermuda and it actually held for almost two weeks!!! In Costa Maya, the little 'jewels' they used in her hair and the actual braids started coming lose the same night she had it done and of course we had already left port. By the time the third day after she got braided, we had to take it all out. Her Bermuda braids were so tight that she was able to show them off in school the following week and they still looked good! I would suggest trying either GC (if you even get to stop there) or Cozumel. I remember the price being much cheaper in Costa Maya ($20 vs. $55) than in Bermuda but maybe that is the reason why!

Its been many years since I was in Grand Cayman, but I don't recall that you could get have your braided there unless you booked into one of the hair salons, which would likely cost you the same as it would in your home town (if not more as the US dollar is worth less than a Grand Cayman dollar). It is a very prosperous and developed island and beach vendors are not allowed.

Some kids DO look cute, but I sure would hate to be the mom who has to pick out all those TINY TIGHT braids on a squealing youngster. Not my idea of a good time!

I have yet to go on a cruise but where I'm from it's pretty common for girls to get their hair braided and I have had mine done quite a few times, I just wanted to share that if you are doing it correctly it's really not hard to get them out. It hurts much, much more when getting them done! So if your child can sit through the braiding it shouldn't be bad taking them out.

Also how long they stay in does depend on the skill of the braider. If it's not hurting your head it's probably not going to stay in long. The tighter they braid the longer they stay and the more it hurts.:eek:

OK, here is my hair braiding story...

Several years ago, DH and I, his son and my mother were in Freeport. My hair was shoulder length and I was wearing it down. As we walked around, I was repeatedly asked, "Braid your hair, Lady?" I kept declining and there was one woman who was quite persistant.

We stopped to rest have a cold drink, and lo and behold, who walks past but the persistant hairdresser....with her finger at least 2 joints up her nose!!!

NOW I know how the hair stays together!!!!!

I got my hair braid a few years back in Cozumel. They did a nice job and it lasted a few weeks. It is a bit of a pain to take out. It may appear that a lot of your hair is coming out when you take out the braids but no more than you would have lost day by day in your brush, now its just comes out all at once :) By the sound of your stops are you going on Carnival Miracle? I am thinking of booking that cruise in July!

My daughter got her hair braided in both Nassau and the Dominican Republic. The Bahama braids were WAY better!! They were corn rows, in there tightly and with some kind of wax stuff that held them in there neatly. They were finished off with binders/bead. We had those done in a shop...kind of a long story, but the lady found us on the street by the straw market and led us back to this shop a good a couple of blocks away. (Nothing scarey, just kept hearing, "it's right up here lady..." as we walked!!)

The Dominican braids were just squared off sections of hair done in regular braids. They started falling out the very same night (a couple here and there, but I was able to fix them easily enough) because they were only finished off with a teeny tiny pc of aluminum foil and bead.

The Bahama braids were in there for almost two weeks! Not a big deal to get them out - just time. Just really condition the heck out of the hair after you wash it!! It'll be wild after taking those braids out!!

I am sure my daughter will want it done again!!! It's part of the fun of for the little kids I guess!!! :)

I would recommend Cozumel. Belize is very dirty once you leave the port shops. The girl who sat at our dinner table had shoulder length hair and talked them down to $35 for her entire head. I saw several little girls who just had the "headband" section of their hair braided with cute beads and it looked adorable. I will let me daughter do this when we take her on her first cruise, but will definitely remember to take our own comb - great advice!!

My nieces had this done on their first cruise and had no problems. Not sure where, thinking perhaps Jamaica or Coz.

I had this done in mexico when i stayed at club med. Since we did'nt really leave club med we had it done in there salon/spa . It cost about 60bucks but they did a great job (and it was clean)! it lasted 2weeks! As anyplace else the more you pay the better the job. ohh... i was about 22 when i got that done... it looks cute on MOST people under 30.

Here is a suggestion..... why not find someplace in or around your home town that can braid your daughters hair. Probally get a better price and a good job done.

I loved it because my hair is hard to control in humid weather.... this was one of the best "wash and go" styles.

This past year i got a body wave before going on my NCL cruise. That was a great wash and go style as well!

Last year both my daughter & son had their hair braided in Roatan at a cost of 25.00 for the whole head. I brought my own combs and then left them for the girls. If you want specific beads, bring your own. In Roatan they had lots of different colors, just all the same style of beads. The kids braids stayed in for well over 2 weeks and may daughters was done in a nice pattern. I wouldn't have a problem with having it done in Belize, I think Roatan is even poorer. Poor country doesn't necessarily mean dirty, it just means they don't have as much.

Both kids want to have it done again. This time we'll be in GC, Freeport & Costa Maya.

Last year both my daughter & son had their hair braided in Roatan at a cost of 25.00 for the whole head. I brought my own combs and then left them for the girls. If you want specific beads, bring your own. In Roatan they had lots of different colors, just all the same style of beads. The kids braids stayed in for well over 2 weeks and may daughters was done in a nice pattern. I wouldn't have a problem with having it done in Belize, I think Roatan is even poorer. Poor country doesn't necessarily mean dirty, it just means they don't have as much.

Both kids want to have it done again. This time we'll be in GC, Freeport & Costa Maya.

What kind of comb??

Archived