Tipping on Carnival

marjmy

quote=habby]Lucy, you are such a wealth of information. I appreciate you clearing up a lot of things for me. We're still relatively new to cruising and you answer questoins I would never even think to ask.

Who is LUCY?:confused:

quote=chris smith sr.], Can't tell you how many times we have had head waiter-no where to be seen doing meals, magically standing at door waiting, for "The Envolpe".

There is a maitre d' who is in charge of the waiting room. He's the one you see as you first enter the dining room. Assuming you mean him when you say he's there for the envelope?

There is also a head waiter for each dining room. Then there's your waiter and his assistant.

.-If you use your credit card for s/s -they will take it out-sometimes second day of cruise-

Doesn't really matter if you are securing your Sail & Sign account by cash or credit/debit card, the automatic tips are the FIRST item listed on your S&S account.

Thanks, Lucy

So ........ we leave the tips on the S&S and then do extra in cast. Same for room stewards and waitstaff in the dining room.?

Tipping is such a touchy subject, and everyone does it differently. What I do works for me, but not for others. I always tip my room steward a little upfront... I seek them out on arrival, introduce myself, chat with them... tell them about my habits, and what I would like through the week, I then thank them in advance for making my cruise great, and give them a tip (generally $20), and explain that I will be leaving my tips on my account as well. For my wait team, I generally wait until the end of the cruise. What we did on the Valor, since it was all family and friends, is we took up a collection, put it in an envelope with a card, and delivered it to our head waiter and asst... we let them split it up. I think they loved it, because it was a nice chunk of change to get all at once. For the bartenders, I give them some throughout the week... I know almost right away if I'm going to "click" with one, and after a few drinks, I will give them a few dollars (sometimes the dollar coins), and then throughout the week, a dollar here and there. Then at the end of the week, I will tip them between $5 and $20 depending on how much I used them, how efficient they were, etc.

So, that is what I do... and I have always had fabulous service, and consider many of the folks I have met on the ships as friends. I keep in touch with many from time to time. Such great people!!!!

quote=habby]Lucy, you are such a wealth of information. I appreciate you clearing up a lot of things for me. We're still relatively new to cruising and you answer questoins I would never even think to ask.

LOL Cotton, LONG story!!! But Randy and I are nicknamed "Ricky and Lucy"... so now we have the CC group cruise "ricky and lucy" tour, so we put Ricky and Lucy in our sigs... everyone calls me Lucy anyway, so I guess I'm used to it!!! LOL! It's silliness :D

Screen name - GoinCruisin. You know, the one with the glittery LUCY at the bottom of her posts. Still new to the boards. Not sure where the name came from. That's gotta be a great story in itself.:)

The way I see it if Carnival wants to "add the tip on" Than that is what they get. nothing more. I will cancel automatic tip once on board and tip in cash. I always tip the room steward right away and give him instructions about anything in Particular I want. He is usually busting his kester.Note my wife and I always tip at least 20% for good service in restaurants more in some cases. If a resturant automatically puts a tip on my bill say 15% than that is all I will tip. Im just stubborn I guess. Besides tips are for good service not just for being there. The better the service the better the tip, thus people tend to treat you better.

:confused: HUH? I don't SEE any Lucy in glitter!

(Oh silly me, I just re-read my last post. I said the "waiting" room. I meant to type dining room. Must've had my doctor on my mind. Geez. Too late to edit it.):rolleyes:

:confused: HUH? I don't SEE any Lucy in glitter!

(Oh silly me, I just re-read my last post. I said the "waiting" room. I meant to type dining room. Must've had my doctor on my mind. Geez. Too late to edit it.):rolleyes:

Cotton, do you have signatures enabled??? Can you see any of my signature?? that may be it...

LOL, we knew what you were talking about :D

Archived