General info about Hamburg

My daughter and I will be in Hamburg for 4 days before our MSC cruise on June next summer 2019.

It will be our first time in Germany. She wants to rent a place through airbnb. Any recommendations?

We will be leaving from Florida,USA. Which would be the right airport near the port or Hamburg city center?

Any suggestions on places to visit in Hamburg?

Where would be the best place to get currency for tips, taxis, etc?

Thanks in advance

Hamburg has more than one airport? That's news to me. I suggest you look at a map, then you'll be able to judge which is closest to the port or city center.

Miniatur Wonderland was really fun.

Get currency at your local bank before leaving Florida, and My Taxi is an app I used, sort of like Uber but for actual taxis.

The other airport is the one Airbus uses for their factory so its not public.

Sometimes many years ago Ryanair marketed the airport near Lübeck as "Hamburg" but I don't think they use that one anymore.

Btw tipping is not really a thing in Europe, at least not in Northern Europe.

If landing at Hamburg airport and going to the centre of Hamburg then the train station is under the airport and you take the S1 train to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (main station), there isn't any other train from the airport so you can't go wrong. Tickets from the machines on the way down, press your country flag symbol to get started and machines takes Euro notes and coins, last year it was €3.20 one way so price will be up by next year if not this year as well.

In Hamburg the Miniatur Wunderland is a must see and from there just wander along to the Landungsbrucken area and perhaps a harbour cruise or nip down the Elbe tunnel for a look see.

Enjoy your trip

Hamburg has more than one airport? That's news to me. I suggest you look at a map, then you'll be able to judge which is closest to the port or city center.

Miniatur Wonderland was really fun.

Get currency at your local bank before leaving Florida, and My Taxi is an app I used, sort of like Uber but for actual taxis.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The other airport is the one Airbus uses for their factory so its not public.

Sometimes many years ago Ryanair marketed the airport near Lübeck as "Hamburg" but I don't think they use that one anymore.

Btw tipping is not really a thing in Europe, at least not in Northern Europe.

You are right about tipping in Europe. But I think it's always convenient to have some cash available.

I finally checked the google map and it looks like it's only one airport.

Thanks for the advice!

If landing at Hamburg airport and going to the centre of Hamburg then the train station is under the airport and you take the S1 train to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (main station), there isn't any other train from the airport so you can't go wrong. Tickets from the machines on the way down, press your country flag symbol to get started and machines takes Euro notes and coins, last year it was €3.20 one way so price will be up by next year if not this year as well.

In Hamburg the Miniatur Wunderland is a must see and from there just wander along to the Landungsbrucken area and perhaps a harbour cruise or nip down the Elbe tunnel for a look see.

Enjoy your trip

:D

I am so grateful for your advice with such specific details.

I am taking notes in my phone already. :D

Thanks!:D

I second Miniatur Wonderland-- it's unique! And I also highly recommend Dialogue im Dunkeln/Stillen. It's a museum/experience that allows people to experience what it is like to be blind or deaf. We thoroughly enjoyed it!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49380856&postcount=14

post is older but i wrote there something with some links.

Here are many infos for Hamburg:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53770891#post53770891

https://www.hotelbb.de/en/index

if i look for a cheap hotel in a german cities i like them, i stay mostly in the Hamburg- Altona,

Hamburg has a great metro system, look where you want to stay and if t there is a metro station in walking distance.

In the city center is a beautiful park named Planten an Blomen with beautiful displays including a Japanese Tea Garden. Every evening in the summer at 10 p.m. is a wonderful illuminated fountains performance with music. All this is without cost. We will be there this week before boarding our cruise to Norway and the North Cape.

Already some good suggestions. To add some more:

* Emigration Museum Ballinstadt, the counterpiece to the Immigration Museum at Ellis Island. Here is, where the emigrats were waiting for their ship. Great exibition, bringing history to life.

* Elbphilharmonie. Though notoriuos for overrunning construction times and costs, it now holds a visitor platform with nice views along the Elbe and the harbor. The concert hall is said to have a marvellous acoustics, so if you cab grad some tickets, this will be a memorable event

* Instead of a harbour cruise, take the public ferry # 62 to Finkenwerder. Harbour cruise at the price of a busticket. There are part of the public transport, so day passes or a normal single fare ticket will do

* Isemarkt (Tue and Fri only). Food market under the elevated U-Bahn between stops Hoheluftbrücke and Eppendorfer Baum. Wide choice of fresh fruit, veggie, fish, salads, spices. Buy and eat at the food stalls or, even better, collect food and drinks for a picnic at the nearby Aussenalster on a fine day.

Sleeping: I would suggest the srea around Altona station. Rather quiet residental or mixed with shopping streets, decent nightlife, good connections to public transport.