Will HAL prepare a picnic lunch to take on port days?

SeaWatch

Some here are posting brutal, judgemental comments. Someone asked a simple question.

I remember a recent thread where someone asked if it was OK to bring food onto the ship. A simple question. Some brutal judgemental comments followed.

For the record, we’ve had private tour guides tell us to bring a boxed lunch. There are sites with limited lunch availability. There are tours set up within limited time frames and the guide wants to conserve time. We dont care for boxed lunches, so we passed on the suggestion.

Other cruise lines routinely pass out bottled water at the gangway. Cruise directors pass out water. I’m racking my brain to remember where but we’ve been to a couple exotic ports where the ship told us not to eat or drink anything. I’m racking my brain to remember which port the ship told us to order boxed lunches.

People onboard Holland America are much nicer than a few people here. And if your opinion, or question, does not fit the narrative- prepare to get blasted by a few.

Edited by sammiedawg

Some here are posting brutal, judgemental comments. Someone asked a simple question.

I remember a recent thread where someone asked if it was OK to bring food onto the ship. A simple question. Some brutal judgemental comments followed.

For the record, we’ve had private tour guides tell us to bring a boxed lunch. There are sites with limited lunch availability. There are tours set up within limited time frames and the guide wants to conserve time. We dont care for boxed lunches, so we passed on the suggestion.

Other cruise lines routinely pass out bottled water at the gangway. Cruise directors pass out water. I’m racking my brain to remember where but we’ve been to a couple exotic ports where the ship told us not to eat or drink anything. I’m racking my brain to remember which port the ship told us to order boxed lunches.

People onboard Holland America are much nicer than a few people here. And if your opinion, or question, does not fit the narrative- prepare to get blasted by a few.

1 .Private guides told you to bring a boxed lunch from the ship

2. Ship told you to order a boxed lunches

No wonder this discussion is confusing. Private guides have no business telling the ship to provide box lunches, and I have never in our 500 days ever remembered the ship telling us to order a box lunch to take ashore. Hope your memory improves so you can let us know where this happened.

We have had included boxed lunches on some HAL shore excursions, but do not know if these were prepared locally or by the ship. Once on the Pulpit Rock hike in Norway, once on the trip to the Keck Observatory site in Chile. On the two day HAL St Petersburg tours, the box lunchers were locally prepared.

There's a lot of confusion around this issue and cruisers are quick to jump all over anyone who brings up the idea, but the truth is that not all or even most ports prohibit bringing food ashore. It all depends on local regulations, where the ship is sailing to/from, etc. Many who sail in the Caribbean or other tropical isles where the prohibition is common mistakenly think that it is prohibited everywhere....

In Europe, for example, on a ship going from EU country to EU country and provisioned in the EU, it is not an issue. I've been on ship tours in Europe and in Asia and in Middle East where boxed lunches from the ship were included.

Ships generally will warn passengers in briefings and in the daily activity guide when taking food off the ship is strictly prohibited.

Everything about this post seems 100% correct to me. That is, you cannot make or find a compelling argument against anything that was said here.

I just started re-reading this thread from #1 and I stop here because the entire question or original post seems resolved.

Walk-off homer (no pun intended)

There is not any reason that if I board a ship in Seattle I can not bring along an apple when we dock in Juneau. The ability of some here to create rules that don’t exist is impressive! Of course, follow the guidelines of the ship, ask if you are unsure, and make yourself a sandwich if you’re allowed and you so desire.

We were finishing ice cream cones once when we tried to disembark in Alaska. They wouldn't let us off until we finished them.