Door Decorating?

Lori SUD

I've read recently that people decorate their cruise door. Is this because it'll be easy to spot on the corridor?

What kinds of things do people use for the decorations?

Lori

PS ... can you tell I'm a soon-to-be first time cruiser?

Most of the decorated doors I've seen have been simply printed sheets (sometimes laminated) hung on the doors with magnets. I have seen a couple of stuffed animals, a door with a bunch of those magnets with words that you can arrange into poetry, and a couple that were decorated with streamers for a birthday (were gone the next day).

I have also heard people complain that their door signs were stolen over the course of the cruise. In addition, there was a thread on the NCL forum that said NCL now asks you not to decorate your door with anything.

Just remember, you are only a first time cruiser once. I still have questions :). Be aware that cruising is habit forming.

I have read about this on CC for years now and the only door I have ever seen decorated was a honeymooner's door. We have never decorated our door nor have I ever seen one decorated with the above exception on all 5 of our cruises. They say it is easier to spot your cabin but we have never had a problem finding our cabin. At one time, there was a CruiseCritic door sign you could add your username to and print out for your door but I don't know if that is available any more. You might try a search to pull it up.

I just got back from the 12/18 through 12/29 cruise on the NCL Sun, and I had my door decorated with a Christmas theme throughout the cruise. It did make it a lot easier to spot. I saw MANY other doors with small decorations, and NCL didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Beware of putting the Cruise Critic sign up on your door though. People don't read the whole thing and then they think you are some kind of professional critic. They then proceed to unload all their opinions on you, which can be quite annoying when your trying to have a relaxing vacation. One lady even slipped a note under my door asking me to come to her cabin and discuss her opinions!!:eek:

Beware of putting the Cruise Critic sign up on your door though. People don't read the whole thing and then they think you are some kind of professional critic. They then proceed to unload all their opinions on you, which can be quite annoying when your trying to have a relaxing vacation. One lady even slipped a note under my door asking me to come to her cabin and discuss her opinions!!:eek:

That's too funny!:eek:

I've decorated our doors the past few cruises, but don't think I will be doing it this March when we are on the Golden Princess. The past few times I've always had something taken off my door or harmed in some way. It just takes a few idiots to ruin a good time.

I had never decorated our door before, but during the cruise we just returned from, we celebrated DH's birthday. I put up a Happy Birthday sign with his pic on it and a small decoration, as a surprise for him. We left it up a few days, until one night @ 2 a.m., someone pounded on the door and yelled Happy Birthday, Chuck...needless to say, the sign came down the next a.m. It was nice while it lasted!

Before our 1/2/06 cruise on the Inspiration my dd, dm and I made posters to decorate our door. We cut out pictures of ourselves, pasted them on a beach scene paper for scrapbooking and decorated the poster from there. We put all 3 on our door using sticky tack stuff. They stayed up the entire cruise and nobody bothered them at all. Ours was the only door I saw decorated and it really did make it much easier to find!:)

I've decorated our door a few times. We've cruised at Easter, Halloween and Christimas. I just a small item fitting the holiday. The only time I did more than that was when I did a Med cruise on Celebrity. I put up a blank sheets of paper and then added a postcard from each port. Thankfully didn't have too much problems with people trying to ruin it.

We just sailed on the Mariner October 16 where both Cruise Critics and Cruise Addicts had group cruises and there were tons of decorated doors. There was even a Door Decorating Contest.

As to people stealing your decorations, yes they do occasionally but look at it as a compliment - they liked your stuff. We decorate our door on almost every cruise even if it is only with balloons.

Archived