AARP gift cards - for those of you with the Sears Mastercard

mjonis

I'm not sure how "targeted" this bonus is, but I have the Sears Mastercard, and got an email to activate a 5% statement bonus (up to $50, so it's good for up to $500 in charges) for "eligible" charges.

"The following types of transactions don’t qualify as purchases that earn statement credits: use of checks that access your Sears Card Account; balance transfers; cash advances; travelers checks, foreign currency purchases, money orders, wire transfers and similar cash-like transactions; lottery tickets, gaming chips and similar betting transactions; interest and account fees; unauthorized charges; and items returned for credit. The Sears Mastercard account must be current and open at the time we determine whether you qualify for the statement credit in order to receive the statement credit. Please allow 2 billing cycles after the end of the promotional period for the statement credit to be added to your account."

Doesn't appear to exlcude AARP gift cards, so I plan on getting like $500 of AARP Carnival gift cards at 10% off (and then maybe charge some other thing to it), and get an additional 5% back.

Then maybe use that $50 statement credit for another GC.

Thought I'd pass along in case anyone else has the Sears Mastercard.

I got an email about this and almost deleted it, so I guess it pays to read sometimes.

:)

I've just purchased $400 of the AARP Carnival gift cards and found it quite simple to apply to my amount due. My cruise isn't for another 488 days, so I have plenty of time rack up the AARP points to get more cards. Should save quite a sum.

I have done similar Gift Carding in the past to save lots of money on Disney cruises. Target with the Red Card allows 5% off the $25 and $50 Disney cards. Using sites like GiftCardGranny and others, I was able to rack up some massive savings on Target gift cards and for a while you could use those online (I think it was with the Target phone App) plus your Red Card to stack the savings. I think my total savings was about 16% on the total of my last Disney cruise (2 cabins, 6 travelers).

5% of $500 is $25 not $50.

You are correct. I misstated the offer:

"Activate this offer now to earn 5% back in a statement credit**

(up to a total statement credit of $50) when you spend $500 or more on ALL eligible purchases and use your Sears Mastercard® from 8/1/18 – 9/30/18."