Galaxy Aft FO cabins - vibration?

kayakfam

Has anyone sailed on the Galaxy since 1998 and stayed in a Family Oceanview cabin? We were on the Galaxy in this cabin in April 1998 and the vibration from the "pods" as we entered port each morning was so bad it woke us up and just about vibrated us out of bed! And we had a table in the very back of the dining room and each evening as we pulled out of port (early/main seating), the table would vibrate so badly, the glasses & flatware would move around the table.

I know Celebrity/RCCL sued the manufacturers of the pods, but has the problem been <mostly> fixed? We loved the Galaxy and just booked the same cabin again for May 2005. Just want to be prepared if we have to be early risers again! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Debbie

I have sailed on the aft of the ship and the noise you are referring to is not a problem with the pods. It is the sound of the thrusters when the ship is pulling in and out of port. It has not been repaired since there is nothing wrong, it is normal operation on this ship as well as many others.

The Pod problem you are referring to is on the M class ships only, of which Galaxy does not belong to that class.

Don

• 1 month later...
Just back from the Med on Galaxy. We were in 8228 and yes, the vibrations are still there. I considered it my back up alarm clock. I was always aware when we were arriving at a port. It gave me just enough time to get up, dressed and on deck for the view. The teenagers noticed but were never bothered. I'd book the same room again, the lack of users on the balcony at the back made up for the noise.

• 4 weeks later...
We have just come back from a cruise on the Galaxy (2nd August), and were in cabin 8192 and we always knew when we were coming into port as about 1-1.5 hours before we docked the engine noise and vibrations were very severe. This did not affect our enjoyment as we used them as early morning wake up calls (although disembarkation day was a pain as we docked in Rome at 0430 am!!

Archived