Trip Report Viking Romantic Danube with Prague Extension July 26 - Aug 5

mskaufman

Bottom Line Up Front is that Viking did a good job.

Viking met us at the Prague airport even though we were four hours late and it took an hour to get through Immigration. There was a Viking concierge at the hotel who already had us checked. They also ran an hourly shuttle to the Prague main square.

The included tour provided good coverage of the Jewish Quarter, Charles Bridge and the open parts of the Prague Castle.

We embarked on the Jarl, instead of the Atla as the Atla could not get to Nuremburg due to low water, so we knew that a boat transfer was in our future. The transfer was handled professionally. We left our luggage outside the door and it showed up in our room when we switched to the Atla. Viking went out of their way to make sure that all excursions were conducted.

The night before we got to Vienna the captain walked into the lounge to inform us that we could not sail into Budapest. Viking put us up at a great hotel and ran their excursions from there. The Program Director stayed in the hotel with us and made sure we were informed and taken care of.

Food was good. Not a lot of variety. I think I had the always available salmon three of the six nights we were on the boat. DW had the steak about the same amount of times. They had really good fries and we generally replaced one of the sides with them. Breakfast buffet was varied and excellent. Some of the staff had problems understanding when you wanted to make a change from what was on the menu (like no bacon with the grilled cheese).

I'm not sure how to fix this but when there is a bus tour and the sight is only viewable from the opposite side of the bus, you miss it. HOHOs cover this with open air busses.

Happy to answer any questions.

We will also be doing the Romantic Danube on Viking out of Nuremberg in October. We fly in a day early, so we’re doing our own transports. I’m worried about where we will need to go to meet up with the tour if the river levels stay this low. Does Viking put us up in Nuremberg for the first night?

We took the optional excursion to Terezin and it was worthwhile. We also took the optional excursion to the Danube Narrows. However, due to water levels Viking did a substitute of the boat ride so its hard to say if it was worth it. Now for the hearsay: We spoke to people who went to Salzburg and they said it was nice but it was an exhausting day. People who went to Munich said there was much more to see than they could see in the time available. People who went to the concert in Vienna said it was wonderful.

We will also be doing the Romantic Danube on Viking out of Nuremberg in October. We fly in a day early, so we’re doing our own transports. I’m worried about where we will need to go to meet up with the tour if the river levels stay this low. Does Viking put us up in Nuremberg for the first night?

October is a long time away. My impression is that they have a list of alternatives depending on what happens.