Princess@Sea old phone, wifi only

Seestor1

So I have a new Galaxy s9. DH still has dumb phone. My old s5 still goes online on wifi here at home, but has no phone number attached so cannot be used away from wifi. Can he use the s5 for texting others in our group thru Princess@Sea?

Ruby Princess, Alaska, August 11

Edited by Seestor1

Yep - that'll work fine as long as the phone is already setup for wifi use. I'm not familiar with android, but iPhones need a SIM card to be activated (you can use an old inactive SIM), even for just wifi use. Just dealt with this when I wiped an old iphone and did a clean install.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Yep - that'll work fine as long as the phone is already setup for wifi use. I'm not familiar with android, but iPhones need a SIM card to be activated (you can use an old inactive SIM), even for just wifi use. Just dealt with this when I wiped an old iphone and did a clean install.

Dang... ;p;pno idea what a sim card is... but it goes on wifi where wifi is available... so should work, yes?

Dang... ;p;pno idea what a sim card is... but it goes on wifi where wifi is available... so should work, yes?

Yes. I take along my daughter's old phone--it works wherever wifi is available but has not phone number or account associated with it. It works fine with the intranet on the ship and does wifi anywhere I can pick up a free signal.

Yes. I take along my daughter's old phone--it works wherever wifi is available but has not phone number or account associated with it. It works fine with the intranet on the ship and does wifi anywhere I can pick up a free signal.

Thanks so much! I think you, moki'smommy, have answered all my questions and have given me encouragement to boot! You must be a very good person! :halo:<3:wine-glass:

So I have a new Galaxy s9. DH still has dumb phone. My old s5 still goes online on wifi here at home, but has no phone number attached so cannot be used away from wifi. Can he use the s5 for texting others in our group thru Princess@Sea?

It should work fine. You don't need a sim for wi-fi only access.

(depending on the android version, it may display a notification that there is no sim.

d'oh you already knew that, so you can ignore the notification)

While you are still at home -- can you simply connect the phone to wifi?

Home, library, whatever .... then browse to sites like princess.com?

Accessing shipboard wifi will be comparable.

Princess' messenger lacks any notification, so you have to constantly check your phone for new messages.

A poster was lamenting having to use their expensive smart phone on the ship, and would

prefer to leave it locked in the safe.

I mentioned that I had a $20 phone from black friday that I used just for this purpose.

One of the deep thinkers here complained that I was telling people what to do.

I was not. I was simply describing what I had personally done.

It should work fine. You don't need a sim for wi-fi only access.

(depending on the android version, it may display a notification that there is no sim.

d'oh you already knew that, so you can ignore the notification)

While you are still at home -- can you simply connect the phone to wifi?

Home, library, whatever .... then browse to sites like princess.com?

Accessing shipboard wifi will be comparable.

Princess' messenger lacks any notification, so you have to constantly check your phone for new messages.

A poster was lamenting having to use their expensive smart phone on the ship, and would

prefer to leave it locked in the safe.

I mentioned that I had a $20 phone from black friday that I used just for this purpose.

One of the deep thinkers here complained that I was telling people what to do.

I was not. I was simply describing what I had personally done.

Thank you! I need a "smart thinker" like YOU to 'splain things to me!:confused:

Thanks so much! I think you, moki'smommy, have answered all my questions and have given me encouragement to boot! You must be a very good person! :halo:<3:wine-glass:

Thank you....but I don't know how good I am. Just spend too much time on line when not cruising!

And i can't tell you that your phone will work, only that mine does. I'm too cheap to pay for a phone plan that I don't need, but it is convenient to download e-coupons, etc. and pull them up at a store.

A subscriber identity module or subscriber identification module (SIM), widely known as a SIM card, is an integrated circuit that is intended to securely store the international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) number and its related key, which are used to identify and authenticate subscribers on mobile telephony ...

Howard

A subscriber identity module or subscriber identification module (SIM), widely known as a SIM card, is an integrated circuit that is intended to securely store the international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) number and its related key, which are used to identify and authenticate subscribers on mobile telephony ...

Howard

Uh...thanks?

Anyway...we're just going to see if it works! :)

Seeing as your Galaxy s5 works for wi-fi at home there is reason to believe it will work for intranet use onboard ship, which uses a wi-fi connection. Essentially this is what you have when you put the phone into airplane mode (which stops cell calling), and then enable wi-fi. And I know that works.

My Motorola G2 phone (an android phone) works fine on wi-fi without a SIM card. It tells me there is no SIM card, but can make emergency calls (911) only. I can even get to internet addresses (e.g. amazon.com, etc) with just wi-fi attach, no SIM card installed.

You husband's dumb phone probably won't work.

Seeing as your Galaxy s5 works for wi-fi at home there is reason to believe it will work for intranet use onboard ship, which uses a wi-fi connection. Essentially this is what you have when you put the phone into airplane mode (which stops cell calling), and then enable wi-fi. And I know that works.

My Motorola G2 phone (an android phone) works fine on wi-fi without a SIM card. It tells me there is no SIM card, but can make emergency calls (911) only. I can even get to internet addresses (e.g. amazon.com, etc) with just wi-fi attach, no SIM card installed.

You husband's dumb phone probably won't work.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!