LEGEND ALASKA July 31, 2018 Photo Review

CheckersMidwest

TRACY ARM FJORD: I think this was my favorite day. We booked the glacier excursion. You have to email to request your reservation. A small boat (holds about 140 people) comes up to the ship went it stops in Tracy Arm. One goes in the morning at 11:00ish and the other in the afternoon. The boat goes inland to two glaciers.....South Sawyer & North Sawyer. One is 1/4 mile wide and the other is 1/2 mile wide and 1/2 mile high. The description said to bring winter clothes and I am so glad we did. We are from northern Missouri and have cold winters & I am never warm enough. I had my Columbia coat with liner, gloves, and a scarf. It snowed on us part way there. Inside the boat was warm but the windows didn't agree with my camera and I felt like I missed stuff inside so I was outside on the platform all the time. When the boat stopped, they opened up the very top platform for a 360 view. We got SO close to stuff. At the end, the Legend had come slowly as far as it could. It did not go to the first glacier that we did and only got a glimpse of the second. It was very foggy and it snowed & misted.

The second glacier was covered with harbor seals. The water is too cold for Orcas. (They eat seals) The seals have their pups on the glacier and teach them to swim & hunt/fish in safety then they are ready to move out into the ocean.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Tracy Arm was our second favorite day after Skagway (close encounter with grizzly bear on rafting trip where we could dip our hands in freezing river to touch huge salmon). Naturalist called attention to many things "up ahead", expertly using visual points to help us see... seals, mountain goats, rams and... grizzly bear mother with cub! Using my zoom lens, we can see the claws on the mother in our photos! Alaska cruise is amazing and can't wait to do it again!

The Enchanted Forest - this goes down one side of the ship. Oddly, this is where my muster station was located. (Just to the outside, but the map showed here.) Rarely anyone here when we walked through.

enhance

enhance

enhance

This area looks amazing!! I cant wait to see it.

All your pics are beautiful. I am soaking it all in as we leave for our cruise next week on the Legend. Keep them coming!!

TRACY ARM FJORD: I think this was my favorite day. We booked the glacier excursion. You have to email to request your reservation. A small boat (holds about 140 people) comes up to the ship went it stops in Tracy Arm. One goes in the morning at 11:00ish and the other in the afternoon. The boat goes inland to two glaciers.....South Sawyer & North Sawyer. One is 1/4 mile wide and the other is 1/2 mile wide and 1/2 mile high. The description said to bring winter clothes and I am so glad we did. We are from northern Missouri and have cold winters & I am never warm enough. I had my Columbia coat with liner, gloves, and a scarf. It snowed on us part way there. Inside the boat was warm but the windows didn't agree with my camera and I felt like I missed stuff inside so I was outside on the platform all the time. When the boat stopped, they opened up the very top platform for a 360 view. We got SO close to stuff. At the end, the Legend had come slowly as far as it could. It did not go to the first glacier that we did and only got a glimpse of the second. It was very foggy and it snowed & misted.

The second glacier was covered with harbor seals. The water is too cold for Orcas. (They eat seals) The seals have their pups on the glacier and teach them to swim & hunt/fish in safety then they are ready to move out into the ocean.

Isn’t it a magical place?! I live in Juneau, and it’s by far my favorite splurge. Locals have quite a ways to go to get there and back. Makes for a long day and expensive treat, but so worth it every couple of years! After seeing Tracy Arm, I don’t feel the need to make the trek to Glacier Bay.

Great pictures and thanks for the review. I do have a question. Do you remember when you booked the glacier tour. Our cruise is not until June 2019. I emailed them. They replied tour not available until early 2019. Is this what you encountered as well? Long winded. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow...what a fabulous review! I am cruising next June along with my sister and the fans of Ron Pass, AKA, the Rontourage. I have to admit I was a bit reluctant to go so far north for vacation as I am not a big fan of the cold weather having lived in Minnesota for many years. But the views are so wonderful and the thought of something entirely different than the Caribbean has got my attention. Thank you for sharing your review and photos with us....I am getting more eager to go now!

Deb

The first 'talk' by the naturalist was at 7:15, some were at 9:15 AM, it varied.

**When you get into Alaska, you have to turn your clock back another hour. On the way back to Seattle you have to turn them forward. (Oh gosh.....I think that is right!) We turned it the wrong way. Took our time that last sea day morning, went to breakfast, and sat down for the 9:15 talk on whales. It was 11:15 am. Really pay attention ! They remind you in the Fun Times.

While we went to the first glacier & then to the second one, the Legend made it's way slowly to the opening. They did not go to the first one & this was as close as it got. We were back on the ship and went to the hot tub on the Serenity Deck to warm up. From the back of the ship, you could see the corner of the glacier.

enhance

Along the way, we saw mountain goats. I zoomed & cropped a couple photos, so they're a little blurry but you can really tell what they are !

enhance

enhance

enhance

They look a little like polar bears ! But of course, not far enough north.