Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

You heard right, there's a Publix supermarket in the shopping center next to the hotel. There's an italian restaurant as well as a chinese restaurant in the same shopping plaza. ;)

Kroozfoolz, and if I had gone back and reread the whole post or at least to #4, I would of known this had been mentioned before.:o

Thanks again, Dianne

OK, OK, OK!!! I cancelled the Ramada after reading the reviews on this board and I decided to book at the Holiday Inn that everyone recommends....SSSSCCCEEEEECCCHHHHH.... the Holiday Inn is a whopping $259! :eek: :eek: with taxes added it's about $290:eek: :eek:

There HAS to be another hotel that is near there, that is near all the store and restaurants...HAS TO BE! I went over to my other favorite site tripadvisor and all I see is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR" OK $259 is LUXURY to me and I know that the Holiday Inn is not a luxury hotel.

HELP ME OUT FOLKS!!!????

Oh I am looking for one night, April 7, 2007

OK, OK, OK!!! I cancelled the Ramada after reading the reviews on this board and I decided to book at the Holiday Inn that everyone recommends....SSSSCCCEEEEECCCHHHHH.... the Holiday Inn is a whopping $259! with taxes added it's about $290

There HAS to be another hotel that is near there, that is near all the store and restaurants...HAS TO BE! I went over to my other favorite site tripadvisor and all I see is "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR" OK $259 is LUXURY to me and I know that the Holiday Inn is not a luxury hotel.

HELP ME OUT FOLKS!!!????

Oh I am looking for one night, April 7, 2007

Way too much, you've got to be able to do better then that, especially this far in advance. Have you tried any of the travel websites like easyclick travel, kayak, cheapohotel or even expedia, orbitz. Priceline and Hotwire can save you a bundle as well. Do you belong to Triple A?

Here's some nearby hotels on 17th Street you can check out as well:

SE 17th Street (closest to Port Everglades and FLL)...

Renaissance... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Embassy Suites... http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/...ctyhocn=FLLSOES

Ft Lauderdale Grande….http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com

Holiday Inn Express... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/...ter-marina.html

Even the Hyatt Pier 66 (resort) is less then the HI. If all else fails, try the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. ;)

Thanks Bequia!

I booked the Hyatt Pier 66. The others were even more expensive than the Holiday Inn. The Hyatt was $215, still expensive but Hyatt's luxury. I will continue to watch for cheaper rates, after all I do have 8 months until my cruise :p

Every Hotel on 17th Street which I check for April 2007 are over $200 per night. Sleep Inn in Dania was less, but a ways from the area which we prefer. There is a thread re Ft. Lauderdale Hotels here which discusses the good deals to be had in Dania if that would fill your needs.

Good Luck!:)

OK, OK, OK!!! I cancelled the Ramada after reading the reviews on this board and I decided to book at the Holiday Inn that everyone recommends....SSSSCCCEEEEECCCHHHHH.... the Holiday Inn is a whopping $259! :eek: :eek: with taxes added it's about $290:eek: :eek:

HELP ME OUT FOLKS!!!????

Oh I am looking for one night, April 7, 2007[/quote]

OK, I followed the link at smartertravel.com for April 7 and got rates at $136 before taxes. shuttles included with breakfast. here you go...

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/RoomAvailability?hotel=FL664&sid=R4Jgi.XOESMgt0Ng.3&sarea=5599&sname=Dania&sstate=FL&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=26.051944732666016&slon=-80.1441650390625&schain=A&exp=&scity=Dania&sort=&month=4&day=7&depart_month=4&depart_day=8&srp=SSO&nadult=2&nchild=0

FWIW...

A~ :)

K... for some reason the link doesn't give you the lower rate... go to the sleep inn thread to the link on page 4. once linked, read the directions to get the "significant organization savings rate" of $136 before taxes.

HTH

A~

I've been reading all of your helpful comments - maybe someone can give me some hints on our dilemma. We are in Orlando pre-cruise and want to play all day, drive about halfway down to FLL, stay at some nice beachy hotel, then leisurely drive the rest of the way to Port Everglades the next morning. Any idea of where to stop midway between those two cities? We've never been to florida before.

Thanks,

Here's some nearby hotels on 17th Street you can check out as well:

SE 17th Street (closest to Port Everglades and FLL)...

Renaissance... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Embassy Suites... http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/...ctyhocn=FLLSOES

Ft Lauderdale Grande….http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com

Holiday Inn Express... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/...ter-marina.html

We're looking for a room for 1 or 2 nights 11/24-25/06. We want to use priceline and are wondering what "location zone" you would use for these hotels. I've read that if you want to bid the Renaissance to use the Downtown Zone...and I'm assuming that would be the same for each of the above since they're all on SE 17th St.? Just want a good place (not cheap, but not really pricey either) We had a bad experience last year in Miami and don't want to go thru that again so are willing to pay a little extra.

I called Ameri suites for March & got a rate, then went to the valuetrips site. It was $100 less. We have never booked a room online. Can some one tell me their experince with them. Can we cancel if we have to and get a refund?

TrentS, Bequia or anyone-

Is Amerisuites ok? it's just for 1 night & they have free transfers from the airport, breakfast and transfers to the port.

HELP!! :)

I called Ameri suites for March & got a rate, then went to the valuetrips site. It was $100 less. We have never booked a room online. Can some one tell me their experince with them. Can we cancel if we have to and get a refund?

Is Amerisuites ok? it's just for 1 night & they have free transfers from the airport, breakfast and transfers to the port.

There are many threads here discussing this hotel.

Some love it for a one night stay, and others seem to be less than thrilled with it.

It would seem that you should read a lot of these threads below, then make up your mind.

Some folks want a little more luxury, and some are able to be comfortable with less.

Cancellation policies can vary from hotel to hotel - check each one as you research.

cruzingduo, hi there. Amerisuites is just fine for the night and the price is right through Valutrips. If you can get a good rate through Valuetrips go for it!

Valuetrips cancellation policy as stated on their web site: https://ssl.perfora.net/valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/resF17.htm: If your plans change, you must call Amerisuites to change or cancel your reservation at least 24 hours before your arrival date to avoid a no-show penalty. That's typical for most hotels these days in a resort area.

C'mon down, enjoy the sun and have fun. You'll be fine for the night. Great location, walking distance to everything, 5 minutes from the port. ;)

I am looking at rates around the port and airport for 2/20/07 for the Radiance and everything is really expensive. The FLL Grande is going for $320.00 a night which I may have to book when compared to the Holiday Inn at $254.00 a night. I have a hard time paying that much for a HI. Reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed too. Embassy Suites is $299.99 but not close enough for me to the port. I guess you pay for convenience.

The FLL Grande is going for $320.00 Embassy Suites is $299.99 but not close enough for me to the port. I guess you pay for convenience.

The Grande is at 1881 SE 17th Street, Embassy Suites 1100 SE 17th Street, Renaissance is at 1617 SE 17th St, Holiday Inn Express is 1500 SE 17th Street, Extended Stay is 1450 SE 17th Street. The point being, ALL of the hotels on SE 17th Street are close to the port. What convenience are you referring to? :rolleyes:

The Grande is at 1881 SE 17th Street, Embassy Suites 1100 SE 17th Street, Renaissance is at 1617 SE 17th St, Holiday Inn Express is 1500 SE 17th Street, Extended Stay is 1450 SE 17th Street. The point being, ALL of the hotels on SE 17th Street are close to the port. What convenience are you referring to? :rolleyes:

I am very familiar with that area after living in Florida for over forty years. I want a hotel that is very close to the port and on the water taxi if possible which the FLL Grande is. The others are not and no way is a HI Express worth that kind of money. I booked the FLL Grande as it was only seventy bucks more than the HI Express. The LaQuinta airport wanted $250.00 a night. I know that this is considered the season for south Florida but come on a LQ for $250.00 a night? No way is that worth it. My second choice would have been the Embassy suites. I am staying at the FLL Grande in December and will see how she looks since being taken over by the new owners.

I want a hotel that is very close to the port and on the water taxi if possible which the FLL Grande is. I am staying at the FLL Grande in December and will see how she looks since being taken over by the new owners.

Your original post did not mention the water taxi. Your right, it's conveniant to being on the water taxi route. The hotel has not changed any since the Blackstone Group acquired it last year with the exception of the 'Marriott' sign being removed and a 'Fort Lauderdale Grande' billboard being erected in it's place. Hopefully the tower building repairs will be completed by the time you arrive.

For those not familiar with the hotel layout on SE 17th Street, they are all in close proximity to Port Everglades, a five minute ride from the hotels to the cruise terminals. ;)

Bequia, thanks for your input. We have not been to Ft Lauderdale to stay over night before. Is the Amerisutes near the water taxi that is mentioned in other posts? It's not that important to us, just curious. We would like to be able to walk to a place for dinner. Are there nearby places to eat? And is it safe to walk? We also want to buy a case of water to take onboard with us. A Publix or the like is fine, is there one we can walk to?

Why are others not interested in Amerisuites? If I read their web site correctly, it's $79 for a non smoking room with King bed, plus transfers and breakfast. That's a deal compared to the other prices being discussed. It's only for 1 night. We want a place that's clean & near the port. We're saving our money for the cruise.

cruzingduo, One of the benefits of staying at Amerisuites is it's location. Restaurants are in abundance as well as shops and a great supermarket all within easy walking distance. The area is safe but as anywhere your not familiar with, always be aware of your surroundings. You can walk to the water taxi, albeit a long walk, under a mile. ;)

I've been reading all of your helpful comments - maybe someone can give me some hints on our dilemma. We are in Orlando pre-cruise and want to play all day, drive about halfway down to FLL, stay at some nice beachy hotel, then leisurely drive the rest of the way to Port Everglades the next morning. Any idea of where to stop midway between those two cities? We've never been to florida before.

Thanks,

I was waiting to see if any locals gave you any advice more detail than me. But since it doesn't seem they are I'll put my 2 cents in.

From Orlando you can take the Bee Line Expressway (a toll road) to the Port Canaveral area and the last i was there Cocoa Beach has some nice places to stay and some clean beaches. The drive is probably 2.5 - 3 hrs to Port Everglades or FLL. Or you can take the Fla Turnpike (toll) south to the Port St. Lucie area. From that point to Ft Lauderdale you should be able to find a nice hotel on or near the beach to stay the night. Port St. Lucie area is probably 1 to 1.5 hrs from FLL.

I would use Yahoo maps or Mapquest to find the area you want to stop over and use something like Hotwire or Priceline for a hotel in the area (personally I would want 3 star or better for less than $100 which is possible in the off peak times, not so at other times). I checked Hotwire and found 3 star hotels in the Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area for less than $90 on the beach in September and even the West Palm Beach area has a 3.5 star resort in the $85 range.

Bequia, thank you so much for the info about Amerisuites. I will book it, it meets our needs. I am still just a little unsure about using valuetrips. But it's $100 cheaper using it than booking directly with the hotel.

As I understand it, we can cancel if need be.

FOS 10-15-06 members cruise

Brilliance 1-22-07

Radiance 3-3 and 3-11 2007

Bequia, thank you so much for the info about Amerisuites. As I understand it, we can cancel if need be.

According to the website up to 24 hours of your scheduled stay without penalty.

Bequia: I hate to keep bothering you but my DH is curious about 2 Marriott properties and wondering if you have any info. and/or recommendations TO or NOT TO Stay:

Courtyard by Marriott Ft. Lauderdale East @ 5001 N. Federal Hwy.

TownePlace Suites Ft. Lauderdale West @ 3100 Prospect Rd.

Thanks so much for all you add to these boards - you're wonderful to help us all out.

shipknotshore, I'm sorry I'm not familiar with these two properties. They're both a little ways out of town, will you have a car rental? Have you considered the Dania Beach Courtyard?

Archived