Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Hi everyone! I've read through this thread before, but not for several weeks, and now can't seem to find what I was looking for, so please forgive me while I ask a question that's probably been asked and answered many time, lol...

How long of a ride (either by taxi or by shuttle) from the Sleep Inn Dania to the cruiseport? I think I saw on the previous page that the fare should run $20 or less? is that right?

I know the problem! I had no idea the Boat Show was on when I tried to find a hotel room months ago for October 28th. I also found a room at the Ramada Inn on SR 84 for $102 and have read many negative reports about this hotel on CC message boards. I have also found several positive reports on tripadvisor.com. Different strokes for different folks. I'll take a chance for 1 night considering the non-availability of all the hotels on SE 17th St.

RedTop,

How was your stay? Our group of 20 people is thinking about staying there for one night before our 3/30 cruise on the Sun Princess. We've heard some bad reviews, but we're concerned about cost and just need a reasonable place for the one night. Were the rooms decent? Did it look safe? How was the food in the restaurant? Was the bar OK?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Oledave

RedTop,

How was your stay? Our group of 20 people is thinking about staying there for one night before our 3/30 cruise on the Sun Princess. We've heard some bad reviews, but we're concerned about cost and just need a reasonable place for the one night. Were the rooms decent? Did it look safe? How was the food in the restaurant? Was the bar OK?

Hi,

Ours is one of the terrible reviews. Our first impression was that the shuttle was terribly late, then the driver threw our lugggage over the stuff at the back of the trailer all the way to the front, breaking something in the process. The air conditioning did not work in the shuttle; the indoor bar was closed (which it took us about 20 minutes before the bar tender bothered to tell us); the food was mediocre at best. Then it went downhill. The room was dirty, the TV remote needed batteries, which I finally went down to the desk to get... You get the picture.

We will NEVER go back.:( :( :eek:

Dan

RedTop,

Thanks in advance for any info.

Oledave

Don't do it, big mistake. It's not the way to start a great vacation. It's a nasty property, in a nasty part of town, with nasty rooms, nasty people working there, just plain nasty. The area is known for rooms that rent by the hour not the day, surrounded by pawn shops and check cashing shops. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!! :eek:

Bequia - you seem so helpful to everyone...

Can you recommend a beachfront hotel in FLL for one nite that won't cost an arm and a leg? This is for the weekend before New Years. We have 8 ppl and one couple feels the Harbor Beach is too pricey for them. Lago Mar requires 4 nite stay. Everyone wants beachfront, but I don't want to end up in a dump. Would prefer less than $300, and might consider taking a chance on priceline if I can feel comfortable.

What would you suggest???

Thanks!

I'm not Bequia but thought I'd chime in. We are booked at the Yankee Trader for this Fri. We used Priceline and got it for $72-Tripadviser reveiws are mostly good-not perfect. Sounds like an older hotel that needs some renovation but the location is great. My 2 cents

Harry

Reasonable beach front in Ft Lauderdale in December, good luck.

These hotels are the only beachfront hotels directly on the beach in Ft Lauderdale:

Lago Mar... http://www.lagomar.com/

Marriott Harbor Beach... http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/

Pelican Beach Resort (only the NEW tower)... http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

Sheraton Yankee Clipper....http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=664

and a short walk to the beach and probably the most economical, Best Western Oceanside Inn....http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do#null

I've stayed at the Lago Mar and the Marriott Harbor Beach, would not hesitate recommending them to anyone. The others have mixed reviews on these boards. There's a nice Marriott in nearby Hollywood Beach that's quite nice as well, further south is the Westin Diplomat a beautiful property but $$$$

Harry and Bequia - thanks!

We were at the Diplomat last year over New Years. Yes, it's a great place, but it is a team hotel for the Orange Bowl. Place was crawling with football players, press, fans, etc. That's great if you're there for the bowl game, but not what we want for a pre-cruise night, so it is off our list for this trip.

Like the Lago mar, the Pelican also requires a four night stay, so I guess we'll try for the Sheraton properties.

I need some help please! We are a large group--maybe 15 rooms, already booked at the Wyndham Airport for 1 night pre-cruise March 22nd. Got the AAA/AARP rate for $186. (cost under $200 is a factor)

YES, we have read all the reviews on TA but let me please state, we are all flying from all corners of the US & UK, no one is renting a car, no one wants to go any place else by taxi for a meal and/or drinks. Will this place be ok for this one evening??? Most of us won't arrive until late afternoon and everyone has sailed out of FLL before and has no desire to do anything other than get together for drinks, some dinner & visit that evening.

Thanks in advance for all the input!!!:D

First of all, you said 15 rooms. I hope you realize you can get very good group rates, better then the $186 rate if you book them all together as one reservation. Even the airport Sheraton which meets the requirements of what your looking for is only $139 a night. Do yourself a favor, call the hotel listed below directly and ask for "group sales". Let us know what you come up with.

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel

1825 Griffin Road

Dania, FL 33004

United States

Phone: (954) 920-3500

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1115

If your dead set on staying at the Wyndham (yes, it's fine for a night) call them directly for a better rate. ;)

First of all, you said 15 rooms. I hope you realize you can get very good group rates, better then the $186 rate if you book them all together as one reservation. Even the airport Sheraton which meets the requirements of what your looking for is only $139 a night. Do yourself a favor, call the hotel listed below directly and ask for "group sales". Let us know what you come up with.

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel

1825 Griffin Road

Dania, FL 33004

United States

Phone: (954) 920-3500

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1115

If your dead set on staying at the Wyndham (yes, it's fine for a night) call them directly for a better rate. ;)

Yes, it was one of those snowball effects. "Where are you staying, where are you staying", etc. Then we find out we have a nice large group.

So.....you are saying the Sheraton Airport is much nicer then & has all the amenities we are looking for for that one night???

So.....you are saying the Sheraton Airport is much nicer then & has all the amenities we are looking for for that one night???

No, I'm saying it's comparable, has all the amenities your looking for and will cost you a lot less then the $186 you were quoted. ;)

I tried to book AmericaSuites near 17th through ValueTrips.com at their rate of $129-$139 for March 9 and was informed the rate would be $249.99 between March 2 and March 12, 2007.

What is happening in FLL during early March, 2007. Football should be over and I thought spring break was in April. Being on the other coast and not a sport fan I don't know what else could be happening there.

We made a reservation with Princess for the Marriott North. I understand it is about 45 minutes from the port and they do not have an airport or port shuttle. The cab ride is about $45 each way. I will not cancel this hotel reservation until a later date.

There are 4 of us, husband & wife and friends (adult man and his mother). We would like something with complimentary breakfast and restaurants close by for dinner on Friday night, also with a shuttle. Even if we take a cab it will be much cheaper that from the Marriott North.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Norine

Norine, Try the Sleep Inn in Dania. It meets the criteria that you have set for yourself. The internet rate and AAA rate is $152.99 for that night. Have not heard one negative review for this property from your fellow CC'ers on these boards.

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-us/html/HotelInfo?hotel=FL664&promo=gglocal

Norine, I have stayed at the Marriott North several times, although not in connection with a cruise. It is fine, and with no traffic problems, only a 20 minute ride from the airport or Port Everglades. I would advise you to rent a car, and when returning, drop all your luggage and passengers at the Port, then return car to the airport and catch a quick cab ride back to the Port, or a rental car shuttle which may or may not exist.

There are several restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel including a Longhorn Steakhouse, Sweet Tomatoes, Hooters, and my favorite, Champps, good food and big protions. There's also the 24 hour Moonlite Diner, and around the corner, Bennigans and Chilis.

With a car you can get anywhere you want and experience a more local type restaurant if you like.

Well, I checked the Sheraton Airport & they had nothing under $200 per night for the date we need so I guess we will stay with the Wyndham. Sure hope their renovation brings better reviews, but for one night & to be able to meet & mingle with a bunch of cruise friends, we can manage!!!!:D

Well we just got back from our cruise and I have to tell you the sleep inn was great the service was good and the hotel clean and smelled fresh. They were exactly what every one said. We left our car there it was included as i booked with stay123. The shuttle came as soon as i called the hotel from the port. Very good deal Would definately do this again.

Archived