Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

Had a minute and Bequia has always been helpful to me so here is a bit about this hotel. It is the ex-Marina Marriott.

Out of this world. I saw what 66 million does in renovations. Rooms spotless with raised sinks, standup spa showers, duvets on the beds and so comfortable. We stayed 4 days Feb 10th to the 14th. Asked for port view and had to wait till 4pm so no big deal as enjoyed the pool. If I was asked once I was asked 10 times if I needed anything walking through the lobby. It's a bit of a walk to for evening dining on the strip but hey we all could use the exercise.

The only negative was no restaurant but now open and the pricess for coffee, or juice was through the roof in the morning. Cheaper to take a cab to the strip return with a coffee than buying it there.:mad:

Would not stop me from staying again though. Warched the Emerald come in as we had friends on that cruise who were staying fon board for a b2b. I took pics of the aft of the Emerald from the room balcony and low and byhold there they are on the ship taking pics of us on the balcony. We all laughed over that one.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to find a hotel in Fort lauderdale, to be able to leave our car at during our Freedom cruise, like we are able to do at multiple hotels in Port Canaveral.

The only hit I can find after checking the 3 hotels recommended earlier in this thread and various searches is.................

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North.

2500 Stirling Road

Hollywood, FL 33020

Does anybody have any good or bad input on this hoitel from previous experience or any help from the locals about the location?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

I have been trying to find a hotel in Fort lauderdale, to be able to leave our car at during our Freedom cruise, like we are able to do at multiple hotels in Port Canaveral.

The only hit I can find after checking the 3 hotels recommended earlier in this thread and various searches is.................

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North.

2500 Stirling Road

Hollywood, FL 33020

Does anybody have any good or bad input on this hoitel from previous experience or any help from the locals about the location?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

The Hampton Inn, Plantation, FL, and the LaQuinta Inn, Hollywood, FL, both have parking, a continental breakfast and shuttles to the pier. We've stayed at both and they're both nice hotels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

I don't know anything about the Hampton on Stirling Road, but we've been advised in the past to avoid the Stirling Road area :( .

• 3 months later...
The Hampton Inn, Plantation, FL, and the LaQuinta Inn, Hollywood, FL, both have parking, a continental breakfast and shuttles to the pier. We've stayed at both and they're both nice hotels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

I don't know anything about the Hampton on Stirling Road, but we've been advised in the past to avoid the Stirling Road area :( .

Am I crazy or on the LaQuinta map, does it not look like it is a mere block over from Stirling Road?

LQ985_985_map.jpg

Is it that much nicer one block over?

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport North - is it clean and safe (2301 SW 12th Avenue)? We are coming in late the night before and are just hoping for a clean, safe place to sleep (will not be going anywhere except to the port the next morning)....

Since I am using points - I thought it might be okay for a late night arrival....

What do you all think?

Bequia,

How much will a cab from Port back to LaQuinta run?

(since the free shuttle is only to the Port, no return)

Just trying to budget as much as possible.

Ballpark figure would be great.

Thanks,

Bill

We have stayed here twice and its nice.

LaQuinta's shuttle will pick you up at the airport but there no longer is a free shuttle to the port. A private company (bus) now picks people, and their luggage, up at the hotel and takes them to the port. It's cheap, but not free, and a pain in the you know what because of the number of people using the service.

If there's only 2 of you I'd do a cab in a heart beat.

Dan

Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport North - is it clean and safe (2301 SW 12th Avenue)? We are coming in late the night before and are just hoping for a clean, safe place to sleep (will not be going anywhere except to the port the next morning)....

Since I am using points - I thought it might be okay for a late night arrival....

What do you all think?

Our travel agent has booked us into this Hampton Inn and we arrive in Miami at 8:15pm and will take a taxi to Ft. Lauderdale. Just need a place that is safe, clean and a comfortable place to sleep for the one night. Will we be OK at this location?

Dee

I have been looking at the La Quinta in hollywood as they offer free parking while on the cruise and have a shuttle to the port. Their website says the shuttle only runs on the weekends, so I called and was told that they do take shuttle during the week to the port. Has any taken the shuttle during the week? if so what times does it leave?

Someone above asked what it would cost for a cab back to La Quinta to grab our car, I would also like to know. Just to have an idea. Or would it be a better idea to just drive to the port and keep our car in a guarded/ covered garage and pay the 15 bucks a day for a 5 night cruise? just to avoid the hassle of the shuttle and cab back to the hotel.

Bequia,

How much will a cab from Port back to LaQuinta run?

(since the free shuttle is only to the Port, no return)

Just trying to budget as much as possible.

Ballpark figure would be great.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, ballpark, $25

Can anyone give me any imput on the Bahia Cabana - Days Inn? It's located at 3001 Harbor Dr in Ft. Lauderdale. We ate at the restaurant several times in past trips - they are my favorite place for ribs. Not too sure what the rooms would be like. We're looking to spend 1 night before leaving on a cruise on 2/28/09. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Carol

I've created a map of the Ft Lauderdale area hotels and attractions. Hopefully it will give you an idea of the layout of the area. In the left column is the list of hotels, just click on the name and it will point it out on the map. Zooming in will make map display less cluttered. I'll post three links for the three differant views. It's a work in progress, I'll be updating it continually with restaurants and local attractions. Let me know what you think, suggestions for improvement welcome. Bequia

Street map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.099955,-80.132067&spn=0.007091,0.009978&z=17

Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&t=k&z=13

Street map and Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&t=h&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&z=13

Just a heads up, Bequia, you've got the Hampton Inn Stirling and the Hampton Inn Airport North both directing to the Hampton Inn Airport North website.

Here's the right one for the one on Stirling (which is an Inn & Suites) : http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?moreDesc=true&ctyhocn=FLLAPHX

We just booked the LaQuinta for one night the day before Thanksgiving. My Mom and Dad, and Brother and his family will be parking their cars there during the cruise. I am wondering when the stores and restaurants will be closing that night? My Sister and her family and my family and I will be flying in around 8:00pm.

We fly into Miami from the UK on 26 Dec and would like a morning shopping before picking up our cruise from Fort Lauderdale afternoon of 27 Dec. We thought we'd stay the night in Fort Lauderdale. Any suggestions for:

1. Good airport transfer Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale?

2. A good hotel with easy access to some excellent shopping and not too far to get to the port?

Thanks for your help.

I apologize if someone already asked about this, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort?

I'm cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale next Feb. 8th and ideally wanted to be near the beach and near the Port (at least close enough to see some ships coming and going in the days leading up to my cruise). The Hyatt 66 looks beautiful and I might end up trying there, but it's a little more than I wanted to pay. I am also considering the Yankee Clipper which seems nice, albiet dated.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed at the Florida Grand and great views if you get port view side.

Not cheap but first class. Great for a couple of days pre-cruise as lots to see boat wise, close to water taxi.

Negative is that fair walk for eats or drinks. Hotel VERY expensive in that area.

I've created a map of the Ft Lauderdale area hotels and attractions. Hopefully it will give you an idea of the layout of the area. In the left column is the list of hotels, just click on the name and it will point it out on the map. Zooming in will make map display less cluttered. I'll post three links for the three differant views. It's a work in progress, I'll be updating it continually with restaurants and local attractions. Let me know what you think, suggestions for improvement welcome. Bequia

Street map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.099955,-80.132067&spn=0.007091,0.009978&z=17

Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&t=k&z=13

Street map and Satellite View:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.00000112e44774bfe948e&om=1&t=h&ll=26.080375,-80.130672&spn=0.113478,0.159645&z=13

Thanks Bequia!! Just found your map. It has helped in figuring out our car rental issues. And now I know where there is an Einsteins Bagels - my favorite!!!

Archived