Parking at the Pier

stellasue

We are considering parking at the pier in Manhattan as a matter of convenience. Has anybody done this recently amd can you give us some tips? How much space is there and how fast do they fill up? We don't want to get to the pier early and would prefer to board after 2pm to avoid the rush. Will there still be spots at that time? Finally, what kind of a clean-up job do they do if there's been a snowstorm while we're away.( I have visions of having to "dig out" the car on our return!)

I thought that using the pier parking (while a bit expensive), alleviated a whole lot of stress both embarking and disembarking. I'd never do it any other way. I thought the cost was well worth it (Cash or not)

Drop the baggage and extra passengers off at curb, have them work with porter while you drive upstairs. Pay and park car. Go down and meet your group.

Upon disembarkment reverse everything.

I thought everything ran pretty smooth (but I'm a pretty easy going person).

Does anyone know if there is a problem parking larger vehicles at the pier? My DH has a F-350 Crew Cab with an 8ft bed and cap, so it's taller, and longer than the average car. I tried calling the port, and left a message asking this question about a week ago, but no one has gotten back with me.

We've parked on the N.Y.C. cruiseship terminal roof many times. It has always worked out well.

When we returned to N.Y.C. on the Dawn in January, 2004, we were concerned about the snowstorms which occured while we were away.

We were delighted when we saw the attendants in the long term parking area had cleared the lanes and even brushed the snow off the car.

Of course, the car had been locked so they couldn't use the defroster. Nonetheless, in just a few minutes, we were on our way home.

Does anyone know if there is a problem parking larger vehicles at the pier? My DH has a F-350 Crew Cab with an 8ft bed and cap, so it's taller, and longer than the average car. I tried calling the port, and left a message asking this question about a week ago, but no one has gotten back with me.

Diana,

I can't answer your question, but there is a link on this page to email them. It is on the left side under the address. We parked there and it was very convenient.

http://www.nypst.com/

Jackie :cool:

They've recently opened two service elevators in the garage, making it very convenient to get from the garage to the pier. Previously we've had to walk down one flight of stairs and take an escalator. Upon return there were signs warning you that luggage was not allowed on the escalator. You now have the flexibility to drop or carry your luggage at your option. Note when you return, if you choose to have someone stay with your bags at the curb, the driver can conveniently drive down the ramp and pass along in front of the pier to pick up the luggage and passengers. Just take into consideration what time it is and what ship(s) may also be embarking and disembarking that day, and when.

Though expensive, it's very convenient!!

If anyone is interested, this is the response that I received:

Dear Diana and Doug,

The height restriction is 8 feet 4 inches. As long as your truck is under that then you are ok to park. I apologize for no one returning your call. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hart

P&O Ports N.A.

New York Cruise Terminal

711 12th Avenue

New York, New York 10019

(212) 246-5450 Main Line

(212) 641-4441 Direct Line

(212) 641-4490 Fax

mailto: jennifer.hart@poportsna.com

If anyone is interested, this is the response that I received:

Dear Diana and Doug,

The height restriction is 8 feet 4 inches. As long as your truck is under that then you are ok to park. I apologize for no one returning your call. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hart

P&O Ports N.A.

New York Cruise Terminal

711 12th Avenue

New York, New York 10019

(212) 246-5450 Main Line

(212) 641-4441 Direct Line

(212) 641-4490 Fax

mailto: jennifer.hart@poportsna.com

Glad they answered your email and hope you meet the restrictions.

Jackie :cool:

Archived