Sri Lanka and India cruise .

chromered7

We did this cruise in the reverse direction. It was wonderful. We took the land excursion from Azamara to the Taj and it met our every expectation. You will see so many awesome sights on this cruise...to crossing the street to get to the railway...an amazing feat. Loved going to the spice market and the market of wares for sale that are or have been used in Bollywood movie sets...so many unexpected views. Being on a first class section (which to our standards wasn’t first class) of the train during rush hour with people hanging on outside the train. Everything about this trip was wonderful to seeing cultures so different than ours:halo: washing clothes in the river to delivering lunches to businesses and not getting the order wrong.

We did this cruise in the reverse direction. It was wonderful. We took the land excursion from Azamara to the Taj and it met our every expectation. You will see so many awesome sights on this cruise...to crossing the street to get to the railway...an amazing feat. Loved going to the spice market and the market of wares for sale that are or have been used in Bollywood movie sets...so many unexpected views. Being on a first class section (which to our standards wasn’t first class) of the train during rush hour with people hanging on outside the train. Everything about this trip was wonderful to seeing cultures so different than ours:halo: washing clothes in the river to delivering lunches to businesses and not getting the order wrong.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done several versions of this. I would suggest you fly into Delhi first and do a land tour (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, then back to Delhi ) and then fly to Singapore to start the tour. The overnight to the Taj Mahal from the ship is expensive and does not compare to a 3-4 day land tour. In 2012, I did the land tour then flew to Mumbai and boarded the ship. I used Mumbai Magic and the price was very reasonable. There were so many issues with Indian ports, that Azamara has stopped using them for turn around.

We have booked this cruise for 2020, I just want to know has anyone done this cruise is there any advice/tips you could pass on to us . We start in Singapore then stops in Sri Lanka and India ending in Dubai.

Sounds exciting!

Which ports are you visiting in Sri Lanka and India? We've been to both and may be able to offer advice.

Sounds exciting!

Which ports are you visiting in Sri Lanka and India? We've been to both and may be able to offer advice.

Kula Lumpar

Hambantota , Sri Lanka.

Columbo, Sri Lanka.

Kochi, India.

Mumbai, India.

Kula Lumpar

Hambantota , Sri Lanka.

Columbo, Sri Lanka.

Kochi, India.

Mumbai, India.

Kochi: fabulous! Loved the houseboat tour of the backwaters ----about 90 minutes away from the port. Amazing! Our highlight of our cruise. we'd do it again!

Mumbai: noisy, lots of traffic, slow going... typical of Mumbai!Our city tour included the Gandhi Museum and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya museum. The latter is a cultural/science museum.

Sri Lanka: the Cultural Triangle of temples is amazing. We love history so had a great tour here but if you're not into ancient sites, this may not be for you.

Climbing up Sigiriya was incredible! There are many steps but the view at the top plus the ruins of the ancient community make it worthwhile.

Whilst the island is only about the size of Ireland, the roads are windy and the driving... mmm... if you do your own thing, hire the car with a driver!

For both, do read the internet for current tipping suggestions. Also, in Sri Lanka please remember to cover up/strip off for visits to temples. For women this means covering arms and legs but removing footwear and hats. Men must do the same too but in some temples may be required to go bare-chested. If you have balding head, a parasol is the answer!

Hope this helps.

Kochi: fabulous! Loved the houseboat tour of the backwaters ----about 90 minutes away from the port. Amazing! Our highlight of our cruise. we'd do it again!

Mumbai: noisy, lots of traffic, slow going... typical of Mumbai!Our city tour included the Gandhi Museum and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya museum. The latter is a cultural/science museum.

Sri Lanka: the Cultural Triangle of temples is amazing. We love history so had a great tour here but if you're not into ancient sites, this may not be for you.

Climbing up Sigiriya was incredible! There are many steps but the view at the top plus the ruins of the ancient community make it worthwhile.

Whilst the island is only about the size of Ireland, the roads are windy and the driving... mmm... if you do your own thing, hire the car with a driver!

For both, do read the internet for current tipping suggestions. Also, in Sri Lanka please remember to cover up/strip off for visits to temples. For women this means covering arms and legs but removing footwear and hats. Men must do the same too but in some temples may be required to go bare-chested. If you have balding head, a parasol is the answer!

Hope this helps.

Eileen,

Thank you so much for your kind help

Gary.

Hi! I also was on this same itinerary on Azamara this past April. Loved it.

You will dock far from Yangon in Myanmar, so you need to pre arrange a tour. We joined a private tour, from cruise critic, and loved seeing all the sites in Yangon. Azamara does a similiar one. Long drive into this city, which is still fairly untouched by tourism. We did the horse cart excursion there as well, which I loved, going into a different part of Myanmar.

Azamara docked in Hambantota for the first time during our cruise. Industrial, but rural port; take a tour. We again joined a cruise critic private tour with Sri Lanka Safari to venture inland to see elephant orphanage and park with free roaming elephants and other animals.

I took a private tour of Columbo, Sri Lanka, but did not find the city interesting, except for the museum. Ship excursion would be better. Some people took the tour to the elephant park and had a chance to wash elephants.

We joined Muzris Heritage Day Tours for India. We had ten others on this tour. http://www.cochinprivatetour.com/cochin-shore-tours/cochin-shore-excursions/ They had a three port special and we had wonderful adventures on all three for a great price.

Drink allot of water, as it is hot. Don't be afraid of the squat toilets as they are the norm .

And yes, you need to cover up your knees and shoulders in the pagodas and temples and be barefoot, so take a wrap or two.

This sailing covers allot of countries and it is difficult to see everything further out, so it warrants another trip. Try to see a bit of Dubai and Singapore, as they are very interesting cities. Have fun!

You will dock far from Yangon in Myanmar, so you need to pre arrange a tour. We joined a private tour, from cruise critic, and loved seeing all the sites in Yangon. Azamara does a similiar one. Long drive into this city, which is still fairly untouched by tourism. We did the horse cart excursion there as well, which I loved, going into a different part of Myanmar.

Azamara docked in Hambantota for the first time during our cruise. Industrial, but rural port; take a tour. We again joined a cruise critic private tour with Sri Lanka Safari to venture inland to see elephant orphanage and park with free roaming elephants and other animals.

I took a private tour of Columbo, Sri Lanka, but did not find the city interesting, except for the museum. Ship excursion would be better. Some people took the tour to the elephant park and had a chance to wash elephants.

We joined Muzris Heritage Day Tours for India. We had ten others on this tour. http://www.cochinprivatetour.com/cochin-shore-tours/cochin-shore-excursions/ They had a three port special and we had wonderful adventures on all three for a great price.

Drink allot of water, as it is hot. Don't be afraid of the squat toilets as they are the norm .

And yes, you need to cover up your knees and shoulders in the pagodas and temples and be barefoot, so take a wrap or two.

This sailing covers allot of countries and it is difficult to see everything further out, so it warrants another trip. Try to see a bit of Dubai and Singapore, as they are very interesting cities. Have fun!

Thank you so much for your information. We have done some early research but it is the information from past passengers that can be so important.

Gary.

Lots of good advice! I would add that 'barefoot' is bit quite literal ----thick socks are allowed and recommended because the ground can be very hot and uncomfortable.

We did a similar trip on Quest in 2012, although it we stopped in Phuket instead of of Sri Lanka.

Singapore - if you have a couple of days there, research Sentosa island. You can get there by cable car. Orchard Rd for shopping (window shopping only for us as its Gucci, Prada etc!!), Clark Quay at night for food. A drink at the rooftop bar in Marina Bay Sands hotel. The rooftop Lantern bar at the Fullerton Bay hotel is great as well. Raffles is missable IMHO. We warned, drinks are expensive in Singapore! We stayed in the Mandarin Oriental and it was the equiv of £16 a pint. Keep your eyes open for a 7-11 or similar as its a lot cheaper to buy sodas and alcohol there and take back to the hotel.

Cochin - We did a walking tour for a few hours, saw the fishing nets, visited a Synagogue, had lunch and then headed back to the ship. The backwaters trip didnt appeal to us but others said it was great.

Mumbai - I would strongly recommend a private guide. If you organise one, post on your roll call to get a group organised. Limit this to around 8/10 people. We had a great Indian guide who lived in Mumbai. We went to Matunga flower and food market, Victoria train terminus (it has a very long name which I cant recall - this is where the scene from Slumdog Millionaire was filmed) , Dharvi slum (incredible place), Dhobi Ghat (the outdoor laundry with 7000 people working in it), Ghandi museum and ended up at the Taj Mahal palace for a drink. An incredible city which we loved, but is full of very stark contrasts. Take some hand sanitiser, and as advised take water from the ship and drink lots of it. We went mid April and it was low 90s.

Dubai - Gold Souk is interesting, and you can take a short cruise on a traditional Dhow in the creek. Other than that its really based around tourism - hotels/resorts and beaches. The metro was being constructed when we were last there but I think that might now be a good way to get about.

Have visited various temples on other AZ cruises in Asia, and as advised you will need to cover shoulders and legs.

You have plenty of time to research. Have a great trip. David