rwnting a scooter for Escape

richncarol

I can only answer the last question. They won't hate you if you use common courtesy. The problem is that some scooter people think they have exclusive rights to the elevators, and will run over anyone that gets in their way.

It depends on the cabin whether it will fit or not. It will be fine in accessible cabins & suites but it may not fit through the door of other cabins. It also takes up a lot of space & most cabins aren't that roomy.

Although I've seen scooters being charged in the common areas, it's my understanding that they are supposed to be in the cabin when not in use.

First & foremost, get in touch with Special Needs/Access Desk at NCL first about your needs, prior to the sailing as they prefer/need advanced notice. Getting around, into/out of the elevators are generally most challenging on embarkation and disembarkation days, followed by port days, as it will be packed & crowded.

If you aren't booked in the larger accessible staterooms, it is most likely too small to fit and store a motorized scouters, unless it can be folded in a compact & smaller package, and recharged overnight. Access Desk/Special Needs can assist you.

Depending on your deck & stateroom's location on the Escape, passage thru the hallway & corridor might be somewhat tight & narrow, just enough space getting thru during the day when housekeeping/room stewards have their service carts out there. doing their work.

What is your plan for getting around in Bermuda, the ferries are fine for wheelchairs & scooters ... the public buses designed for the locals, not so much. Are you traveling solo as having a partner/spouse/friend or companion along can make life easier on the islands (and, locals are helpful, friendly & courteous ...)

Please don't give using a scooter a second thought. It will make your cruise much more enjoyable. It does for me.

I have never had an accessible cabin, but either leave my scooter near the elevator, or call guest services, and they will pick up, charge. and deliver your scooter back to you. You are not allowed to leave your scooter outside your door if it is the narrow hallway. It was a steward who explained this process to me, and I have been on over ten cruises since using my scooter. I ask that they knock on my door when they deliver, so that I can tip them.

Almost all guests are very good about a person with a scooter, if they are not, they probably are not a person you would have cared for anyway. (At least that's how I look at it)

I hope you will not let the scooter deter you from traveling, Go, and Enjoy!

thanks Bella, as the only responder who uses a scooter I appreciate the feedback. Im not disabled just weak and I tend to due things off schedule anyway - I sleep a lot hehe. I want it to conserve energy the Escape hallway is so long specially if you get on thw wrong end.

I have taken this cruise before so I know the ropes thanks again

hi all

heading out on the escape in early Sept to Bermuda

I have cancer and tire easily, was thinking of renting a scooter from special needs at sea

any reviews? does it fit in the cabin?will people hate me?

thanks

You should do whatever you need to to make your trip a fun and comfortable one! Like someone mentioned, as long as you aren't obnoxious about it, you have every right to use a scooter and anyone who gives you a problem is not very nice. You are going on vacation to please yourself, not others! Have a safe and fun trip!!!! :cool:

We sailed on the Escape a couple of years ago and used the special needs at sea. They made it simple to pick up and drop off at the port. We stayed in a Haven Suite (Aft, corner penthouse) and it did fit through the door. It was tight however. It will take up the whole "foyer" area in a standard balcony/mini suite entrance. I recommend getting a handicap accessible room if that is your plan. Also, the scooter is tough to maneuver when there is a cleaning cart in the hall. Its best to travel in pairs during those times. I frequently had to move carts or lift the rear of the scooter for mom to clear a cart. I did not know that guest services will pick up, charge, and drop off for you. That's a nice touch, but you will most likely be on a schedule with the steward.