Help! Excursion question

Abear2

I’m hoping someone can help answer my question. I have booked a 4 hour excursion with the ship. NCL did tell me what to put on the form I had to fill out. I know this is what you put if booked with the ship, but what if I want to do something else, once I get back from that excursion? Will that be ok to do, even if I didn’t put support the people? I think I put the People to People. I would like to take a cab to try and buy cigars or rum to take home. I am assuming I can bring that back home! I don’t want to get in trouble. Does anyone know if I can do that or should I just go back on the ship. Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m hoping someone can help answer my question. ... Does anyone know if I can do that or should I just go back on the ship. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you do not care, then you can write anything as your travel reason.

However, if you want to do the right thing according to OFAC, then if you do something after your excursion, of which the tour organiser is not aware, then you must not select the "people to people" authorisation. People to people does not allow "free time or recreation" despite what cruise lines may say.

The safest OFAC compliance option for cruise travellers will mostly be "support for the Cuban people" unless after your approved excursion/s you never foot on Cuban soil again during your trip.

Ok, so if I already filled out the form, is there a way to redo it? I really would like to do something else when I return from my excursion.

If you have already lodged the form electronically, do not worry.

Irrespective of what you lodged, the only thing which counts is what you did in Cuba, and which would therefore be consistent with an authorised category of travel.

If you intend to do other things after your excursion and your expenditure "supports the Cuban people" then you are likely to be compliant with OFAC requirements.

Many passengers only pay lip service to OFAC, but actual compliance is almost guaranteed for independent travellers on cruises once ashore.

Do not worry about the affidavit you sent to NCL - it can never be reconciled with your trip unless you are audited, and that is as likely as you being on a rocket to Mars.

Edited by rederob
so as not to disrespect Martians