Monkey Refuge

hockeymaine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise and we did go to the monkey farm. Despite a report I read that you actually get to handle the monkeys this is not true, at least not while we were there. We took a short cab ride from the village (about 15 minutes). The farm/refuge was beautiful but it is not really set up for tourists. We got there early and our cab driver woke up some young guy (about 18) to show us around. No one else was around. We did get to pet a cota mundi that is half pet for them there, saw some of their pigs and some turtles. Then we were taken to the monkeys. A big dissappointment, only two spider monkeys were there. Don't get me wrong, monkeys are fun to watch but I could have done this at any local zoo. We asked about holding or petting the monkeys and were told no. It could have been that they didn't have many monkeys to rescue (a good thing) or none that could be handled at the time, I don't know but we were very dissappointed. We tipped the young man $10.00 and left. We were there probably a total of 15 minutes. Luckily we took a cab so then we went out to the ruins and caught up with on of The Native Way's tours and paid $8.00 each to hang out with them and be led and taught by David. We had a good time doing that.

Archived