Explorer dress code

Not been on Explorer yet but the Marella web site says Gala Evenings on Celebration/Dream and Dress to Impress nights on the Discoveries and Explorer

Just checked an onboard blog, yesterday sunday was a sea day and dress to impress night on Explorer

Thanks for the info, personally I would prefer they either have a formal night or not have a formal night. When we were on Discovery for 2 weeks earlier in the year, the first dress to impress night was very well attended and most people were in DJs or suits etc. The second week we were all dressed up and sat on a table with 2 other couples who didn't appear to have made any effort at all so we felt quite uncomfortable.

Thanks for the info, personally I would prefer they either have a formal night or not have a formal night. When we were on Discovery for 2 weeks earlier in the year, the first dress to impress night was very well attended and most people were in DJs or suits etc. The second week we were all dressed up and sat on a table with 2 other couples who didn't appear to have made any effort at all so we felt quite uncomfortable.

simple solution, just take some smarter casual :)

simple solution, just take some smarter casual :)

I totally agree.

We have had years of cruising with P & O, where formal nights often take place twice a week, and we began to question the point of them. Initially it all seemed very civilised and sophisticated but became samey and, in some cases, pretentious.

Celebrity Cruises adopted the 'chic' or 'dress to impress' where men wear quality casual wear such as smart jackets with quality shirts but no tie etc, and ladies wear a wide range of dresses, trouser suits etc etc. The result was more spectacular than the formal night in which the men looked like a penguin colony, some of which appeared to be in stages of moult, accompanied by a faint background odour of mothballs.

In my opinion a smarter level of casual is the ideal dress for a 'special night' as it gives greater choice, and does away with the potential incongruity of a couple in formal evening dress sitting with a couple in basic casual dress as experienced by the OP.

I also think it brings a much more relaxed atmosphere to the evening.

I think Marella have it right on the most recent ships.