Staying in Naples/Sorrento/Capri

wineandbeach

We are trying to take my parents to southern Italy. They are both 80. Mom is in good physical condition but Dad cannot walk far and needs to have access to a bathroom often. Dad's father came from Sant'Anastasia just outside Naples and his dream is to visit there. I have been there - amazing church where my Grandfather went. We are hoping to stay in the Naples/Sorrento/Capri area for a week after visiting my grandfather's hometown. Any suggestions or any input on whether this is doable with the physical limitations of my dad. We would like a nice base hotel where we could do day trips or is there a smaller ship that stops at those places and possibly heads to Sicily. Another pitfall is I am a teacher and can only go in the summer so we know it will be hot (I have been there twice in the summer). Hank, Euro Cruiser - you were a great help when we visited Sicily and the Greek Isles - do you or anyone else have any suggestions? Thank you!

I would pick either Naples or Sorrento as a base, from either you can travel to the other places you are interested in. They are both wonderful, it comes down to the kind of environment you enjoy.

For the Amalfi Coast I would use ferries to get around. Positano may be difficult for your father but most of the other towns are fairly flat and easy to maneuver.

Perhaps your mother could gently suggest something like Depends for your father so he won't panic if you can't find a bathroom exactly when he needs one? They are pretty comfortable, according to my brother, and allow him a range of mobility with peace of mind he wouldn't otherwise have.