Oasis and Customs

One last observation that i will share from our 8/12 Oasis cruise was the change in customs or lack there of. It was odd that it was pretty much non existant. Im sure they had dogs smell the bags as they put them in that big room, but customs for us consisted of us getting off the ship, getting our bags, handing our passports to a customs agent that didnt ask any questions or really look at out passports and wave us through. Thats it. I bought more liquor than was allowed and filled out the custom form, which you have to ask for now, and they didnt want any part of that. I told him i had the form and he said not to worry about it. I guess that was nice, but also seems a bit lax...

Anyway, i estimate that from the time we left out stateroom to the time we in our car and on the road was about 20 minutes. Amazing for that sized ship.

thx

Got off Freedom in San Juan last Saturday, our customs agent looked at the pasport, looked at me said "how are you doing Denise?" and that was it. The agent made my husband take off his baseball cap, and waved him through. No questions.

One last observation that i will share from our 8/12 Oasis cruise was the change in customs or lack there of. It was odd that it was pretty much non existant. Im sure they had dogs smell the bags as they put them in that big room, but customs for us consisted of us getting off the ship, getting our bags, handing our passports to a customs agent that didnt ask any questions or really look at out passports and wave us through. Thats it. I bought more liquor than was allowed and filled out the custom form, which you have to ask for now, and they didnt want any part of that. I told him i had the form and he said not to worry about it. I guess that was nice, but also seems a bit lax... Anyway, i estimate that from the time we left out stateroom to the time we in our car and on the road was about 20 minutes. Amazing for that sized ship. thx

Yup. That is a cost saving measure for CBP (cost of filing and archiving the declaration forms).

By not presenting a form, you are asserting that you have no declarations.

If you present a form, as you did, it is up to the CBP officer whether they want to process the declaration. We declared something a couple of weeks ago and they pulled us aside to process the form.

I personally LOVE not having to fill out those stupid forms anymore. Just a waste of paper. Rarely, if ever, have we been asked if we had anything to declare. Now, they basically (sometimes) look at the passport to make sure we are who we say we are and we are done. Love it. I really think they could care less if you are bringing in 3 bottles instead of 2 or something like that. They care about illegal things and I agree, I am sure the dogs go around any checked luggage once it is unloaded.