Captain's Club Upgrades

chrismch

As a captan's club member it shows I am elligible to receive a 1 category upgrade on my next cruise. My question...if I book the highest price inside will I then be upgraded to the next 1 category which is oceanview? Not much of a difference there, as it is usually the same size room. However, when you do the same 1 category up between verandah level to suite level that is a big difference. So does it work that way?:p

However, when you do the same 1 category up between verandah level to suite level that is a big difference. So does it work that way?:p

I don't know the specific answer to the question you are asking, but, I don't think this 1 category upgrade applies when going from verandah to suite (unfortunately, and another reason why the captain's club isn't all its cracked up to be)......

Nope, the upgrade is within categories. Inside to Inside, Outside to Outside, etc.

Unfortunately, there is no "etc". In other words no upgrade within balcony categories and no upgrade within suite categories--just the Inside and Outside categories are in play. Although you cannot upgrade into some outside cabins such as Concierge Class, FO, Century Cat 3....

And you will notice an asterisk * that states that it is not available for certain fares. For instance, if you've booked a happy hour sale, you are not eligible. But sometimes you will find an on-line cruise agency that IS offering upgrades within categories on happy hour sales, so be sure you know what you're asking for. To do the upgrade properly, do not book from Celebrity.com, but call them and tell them what you're looking for and that you are a captain's club member. You can get your booking number from Celebrity with your one cat. upgrade already taken, if available, then transfer the booking to the travel agent that is giving the perk you want, be it free insurance, a bottle of wine etc. Note, these perks are not always being offered.

Sometimes Celebrity offers Captain's Club members $ off on certain cruises. If you haven't received a hard copy in the mail, go to Celebrity.com and click Captain's club, then access Captain's Club departures magazine on line and you will find the ones that are currently being offered. Note that there is an expiration date on all those offerings.

The way that Captain's club upgrades work is that you choose your inside cabin or oceanview cabin and pay one category lower price. Of course this does not work for the lowest category inside or lowest category oceanview.

We have always been able to pick our rooms as long as we are booking an oceanview or less.

There are no upgrades between inside to oceanview or oceanview to verandah. And the upgrade is not available for verandahs, concierge class or suites.

I can understand no upgrades for concierge or suites because the price differential between catagories is great. However the price difference between 2a, 2b, and 2c verandahs is about the same as the differences between oceanview catagories or inside catagories.

The way that Captain's club upgrades work is that you choose your inside cabin or oceanview cabin and pay one category lower price. Of course this does not work for the lowest category inside or lowest category oceanview.

We have always been able to pick our rooms as long as we are booking an oceanview or less.

There are no upgrades between inside to oceanview or oceanview to verandah. And the upgrade is not available for verandahs, concierge class or suites.

I can understand no upgrades for concierge or suites because the price differential between catagories is great. However the price difference between 2a, 2b, and 2c verandahs is about the same as the differences between oceanview catagories or inside catagories.

One of the things that annoys me is that we used to be able to book a Cat2A on the M-Class ships and slide into a Cat1C -- a substantial upgrade. Once they starting calling these CC cabins, poof. We never save a dime on the CC "upgrade" plan now.

In at least this one respect, RCCL does a much better job for their frequent flyers than Celebrity does. All it takes is 5 cruises to start getting discounts on balcony and suite cabins. At 10+ on Celebrity, you get nuthin' when you spend more money on FV, CC and suites. It's a very odd arrangement. Spend more, get less. Strange loyalty program -- very strange.

And as Danno frequently notes, by the time the coupons arrive in the magazine, most people have already booked. Might as well look around for last minute specials.

Archived