Mobility Scooters

cherjoe5

I think you worded your question wrong.

If you had stated " for short periods to get changed or get something out of the cabin." as you did in a later post you might have gotten different responses.

Most of us have experienced scooters sitting outside cabins for 2-3 hours at a time, at the same time of the day, every day of the cruise and believe me it is no fun trying to squeeze pass a scooter 2 or 3 times a day, at the same time of the day, every day of the cruise.

Maybe you're right as far as my wording but I always answer questions respectively until you walk in someone's shoes ( lol) you don't know what they are going through. Fortunately I can ambulate short distances and will try not to use my scooter unless I need to. That's why I got a scooter that folds up to easily get in and out of the cabin. I'm just not used to responses that were not helpful but hurtful. Safe sailing !

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forums mobile app

A few items.

1. Certain times, people post it is against the law. Against SOLAS etc and specifically state it is for mobility scooters. This is not exactly what it states.

2. Hallways as already stated is full of obstacles during the day. They block the passage ways all the time. I would say, putting out your luggage the night before, blocks the passageways. Who is calling security on this?

3. People in scooters, might need to go to the room, to get dressed, use the facilities, or grab something. Leaving the scooter at the door, is easier than trying to get inside each time.

4. If a scooter is parked someplace for a short period of time, the owner should always ask the question, if I'm on the scooter, can I get past me? So if a person in a scooter, walker, or pushing a cart, can get past, than it's not blocking a route. Now its very questionable if it is against any regulation.

5. People in scooters must always figure out, how to "park" a scooter everyplace they go, including restaurants, even halls, and just everyday things. It's not easy.

6. Ships, are the worst place for disabled people. For examples, many people use scooters, but ship doors are not designed for them. Staterooms are not designed to allow passage of a scooter in and out either, since most are designed with a skinny "hallway" inside the door until you get to the beds. Huge numbers of "scooter" people do not need a HC cabin, but this is the only cabin available to get scooters into (except for high priced suites). This could be changed with a reworking of cabins, and start making doors bigger.

7. I have a travel scooter. It fits in any door on the ship. However, its not easy. Plus, even when folded, you just can't put it under a bed to hide. It gets in the way, and if a person has a mobility issue, it makes it hard in some staterooms.

From RCI's website:

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Assistive devices should fit through a standard stateroom entry doorway which is at least 23 inches wide. We offer accessible staterooms which have wider doors which are at least 32 inches wide and may accommodate larger devices. If you have an assistive device larger than 32 inches wide, please contact our Access Department for assistance.

Maybe you're right as far as my wording but I always answer questions respectively until you walk in someone's shoes ( lol) you don't know what they are going through. Fortunately I can ambulate short distances and will try not to use my scooter unless I need to. That's why I got a scooter that folds up to easily get in and out of the cabin. I'm just not used to responses that were not helpful but hurtful. Safe sailing !

Like you I always try to reply in a way that does not offend but I know other don't. May be part of the problem is also where you posted your question. Since joining CC I have noticed that certain subjects are liking waving a red flag at a bull; scooters; dogs etc. when posted on RC forum. You might try posting scooter questions on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum as the posters there seem to respond my moderately.

Like you I always try to reply in a way that does not offend but I know other don't. May be part of the problem is also where you posted your question. Since joining CC I have noticed that certain subjects are liking waving a red flag at a bull; scooters; dogs etc. when posted on RC forum. You might try posting scooter questions on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum as the posters there seem to respond my moderately.
Thank you