Just Back from SD II

cburger100

I am still tired from the long flight from Barbados, but wanted to take a few minutes before I get really busy to say, IT WAS WONDERFUL!

This is my 3rd time on SD II. It seems, if you can believe it, that the food is getting better. The staff were great, the excursions, the service. Martjen, Rickson, Danny, Ramon, Frank, Frank, Michael, Tina, in housekeeping, our cabin stewardess, Jo Joe, everything was Outstanding.

No, I did not want to stay overnight in St. Thomas, and I wanted more than 6 nights, but it was great. The Beach party was on Mayreau, and was just superb.

Upon my return from SD, I am usually so spoiled, I can't find a good restaurant for a while in my town!

We got on SD II in St. Thomas on Jan 2nd. I heard the fireworks in St. Barths were awesome. One of the spa ladies on SDII got married on the beach on New years, with the wedding performed by the Captain. Pictures looked great.

Tell me what you thought of SD I.

Loved it

Only difference are crew and ports so here goes:

Crew

Second trip in six months on SD1 so we were amazed at how much turnover, new capt, cd, hotel mgr and wine steward

CD was Linda, very good one on one but still getting used to group presentations...I dont need much from a cd in the carribean but she was great to work with and she was very very busy....she comes from a land tour company that did europe trips so she should be great over there, we really liked her and hope she is aboard our next trip

Hotel Mgr was Sean and he is a very likeable Irish fellow that handled all of our requests politely and efficiently

Captain was just as bad/good as any one on a cruise ship, why they make these poor guys try and interact with the passengers is beyond me...does anyone really care if they meet the captain, please let them go back to doing whatever they do....the repeaters cocktail party was nice and he posed for pictures but let me at the caviar and the rest of you can pose with him...

Wine Steward was great, as a matter of fact all of the servers were tremendous, one person said it best, they all had positive, positive energy, it was great

The spa staff was functional and appointments were easy to get, the fact these people do not "push" product sales is really appreciated

The water sports people were helpful as well, Noel who doubled as the pianist was functional in both roles and Michelle filled in a few times when the banana boat needed an extra rider

Our beach party was on Jost Van Dyke and done extremely well, a friend had left some drinks for us at thr soggy bottom bar and that was a BLAST

Housekeeping was functional and left little fun stuff each night as they do

The most debated resource was the chef, who I liked as he is Indian and actaully made some dishes with spice and flavor...but I must report there was a very vocal group aboard, especially those from LA that thought his food was dreadful...it certainly wasnt dreadful but it was not foru or five star dining either, I was happy with the flavors though

The only port we did something differnet than most on was St Kitts where we played a great golf course, Royal St Kitts, I would highly recommend (I shot an 80, any course that I can shoot 80 on I recommend - I three putted 4 or I really would have had something to brag on)

Got on and off in San Juan - stayed over at the marriot on the way in and that was acceptable at best

direct flights from NY where we live so very easy

embarking was simple - no lines at all

disembarking was ok, us customs made us all show up at 7 am so the late sleepers were not pleased

sea dream did watch our bags at the customs area for a few hours though as our flight did not leave until late afternoon, that was very nice of them

all in all a great trip but I must say, we are still talking about new years eve in st barts, that was something I will never forget and will be back to do again, and again and again.....

please compare and contrast

Hi Carlylecat....

good to hear from you again...another excellent report just like your Med one....

one thing...were you able to dine on deck in the evenings in the Caribbean as much as we did in the Med..?...I really loved that...

we haven't sailed in the Caribbean yet on SD only SeaBourn and WindSurf...but will definitely be getting round to it of that you can be sure...afraid we have deserted SD for WindSurf at present..sailing at the end of Jan...southbound out of Barbados...will be strange to have to sign for all the drinks..hope my "accountant" head doesn't kick in and start counting every penny....

xxH

Great to hear from you helen, we ate outside every single night on SD, however it was a special request through Sean and we ate on aft deck 4; the entire ship I think ate outside just twice, it misted most nights so they stayed downstairs

I just can not imagine you on a ship without a continuous glass of champagne in your hand...those pennies will add up....

Let me know how you like the surf/star - star was in port with us in St Barts and we meet a couple at lunch who were traveling, they were really having a great trip...they were brits as well, they raved about the crew and the food

what ports are you hitting?

Archived