1st time cruiser here....need some tips! HELP!

loveysbydesign

Hi, We're planning our 1st cruise for 4d/3n. Looking at DCL and Carnival and will probably go with Carnival as we can get a better room for less money than DCL, plus my daughter is afraid of characters right now. It'll be me, dh, ds-7yo and dd 3 1/2 yo. We're hoping to cruise out of Port Canaveral on the Sensation, after we do a few days at WDW (also 1st time there)

Any tips that we should know before we book...will one room be big enough for the 4 of us? will they have food my kids will eat? what excursions are good to do with children these ages, if any?...we may get one free excursion per adult and would have to pay extra for the kiddos. Also is there a beach right near the port in the bahamas that we can go to for free? My kids love the beach and that will probably be the hightlight of the cruise for them.

ANy help and guidance would be greatly appreciated! TIA!:D

• 4 weeks later...

One room should be fine for the four of you--a little tight, but you probably won't be spending much time there. Food for the kids is definitely not a problem. If you eat in the dining room they have a kid's menu with favorites like chicken fingers, hot dogs, french fries, etc. And of course they can order off the main menu too. Our 3-year-old grandson loves fruit and french fries; our waiter made sure he had lots of both every night. They will soon know the kids' preferences, bring milk, etc., after the first night. If eating in the buffet, lots of good kids choices too--it's fun for them to pick. Also always hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, pizza available near the pools. At night we ordered milk and cookies or brownies for nighttime snacks. The only downside was that our fridge wouldn't keep milk cold enough.

As to excursions, think carefully about what your kids will like. Long sightseeing tours on buses are not very kid-friendly, are often crowded and of little interest for children. We mostly just took the kids to the beach--it was the most fun for them and least hassle for us. They got restless on the short tour we took in Jamaica but loved the river tubing there.

Our 4 grandkids all love cruising--have a great time.

We actually ended up booking on RCCL's SOS for May 15th-HOORAY! Can't wait to see CocoCay, now just have to decide what beach to go to and what, if any excursions to take in Nassua. We're thinking of going to Adrasta Gardens in the morning and hitting the beach in the afternoon..or vice versa. Any tips?

We actually ended up booking on RCCL's SOS for May 15th-HOORAY! Can't wait to see CocoCay, now just have to decide what beach to go to and what, if any excursions to take in Nassua. We're thinking of going to Adrasta Gardens in the morning and hitting the beach in the afternoon..or vice versa. Any tips?

When we went to Nassau I took my 4yo, 9yo and 12 yo to the stingray excursion that they have.

You took a boat over to a small island - then you got lifevests and snorkeling equipment (if you wanted to snorkel) They had a beach area where it was enclosed so that the stingrays couldn't get out, and you could just walk into the water from the beach and there were plenty of stingrays! My 4yo stood in water up to her waist and the stingrays came right up to her. She loved it! And my older girls enjoyed it too. The water got deeper as you went out, of course. We got to feed the stingrays and hold them; they were very tame.

There was also a small regular beach (with beachchairs) right next to the stingray beach, so after some time with the stingrays, we just hung out on the beach until it was time to go back. And you could go back and forth between the stingray beach and the regular beach too. There was a small playground by the beach too - nothing special, but my 4yo and 9yo did enjoy it.

People on the excursion that compared it to Stingray City in the Cayman Islands did say that Stingray City was more impressive, but it was still a fun excursion that we all enjoyed - fun for my older kids (and me!) but at the same time something my 4yo enjoyed a lot too.

Archived