Upgrade Drink Package on board (situation I haven't seen here yet)

Jasalth

While I know this is a common topic with upgrading packages, I haven't seen this one yet so I wanted to see if anyone knew.

So we are sailing the Med in a Aurea which includes the classic drinks package. In looking into upgrading to Deluxe I got some strange answers!

My TA said $321 a person. Which.. while this is an 11 day cruise seemed high! So I called MSC. MSC told me that they are not doing upgrades for my cruise date, and if I wanted the Deluxe package I would be welcome to pay the $1048 for it, the full retail price if I bought it off the web site. :'):'):')

Has anyone ever seen or heard this before and know about upgrading on board? Sure, I would have to pay the % for it, but I mean you know... the technical price between the 2 packages is $504 which even adding in the % would be less than my TA said.

Is there a ban on upgrading packages for some reason on some cruises?

TIA!

Upgrading to Deluxe on Med cruises is higher with the cost of the Classic being lower at around £23 per day, its counterpart on USA sailings is much higher, where to upgrade to Deluxe is £6 per day.

I would ring MSC again because you are likely to get a different answer, it has been known for people at MSC to tell people this.