Anyone ran into bookingonline and being put into a Group Booking?

Nilla

We booked, well teh couple we are going with booked online with a Travel agent. I am now finding out that the trael agent has booked us in as part of group cruise??? I am very confused the travel agent was trying to smoothe this over by saying there are some sort of group perks?? Any help would be great! Thanks

We booked, well the couple we are going with booked online with a Travel agent. I am now finding out that the travel agent has booked us in as part of group cruise??? I am very confused the travel agent was trying to smooth this over by saying there are some sort of group perks?? Any help would be great! Thanks

I have no idea who you booked with, and cannot reveal our TA either, but the exact thing happened with us.

There was no problem at all. It was explained to us that this is the way many TAs and large companies purchase blocks of cabins, then sell them.

I did discuss it with the TA we were using at the time, and she assured us

that we would be treated just the same as passengers who were booked as individuals.

This was the case - never even thought about it after we boarded.

I had completely forgotten about this until seeing your post.

If you are feeling apprehensive about this booking, ask your travel agent to explain it to you better. They owe you a reply that is understandable, and does not make you feel that you are being pushed aside.

I do not know what sort of group perks your agent may be referring to; we did not have this mentioned to us at all, nor did we receive any. If your TA has suggested that there are perks, ask for a full and detailed run down of exactly what they are, and get it in writing also.

Since you are using a TA, take full advantage of her/him, and be persistent until you are happy. After all, you are the one paying for this cruise, and you deserve to know exactly what you are spending your money on.

Good luck, and do enjoy your cruise.

SailAways :)

I know there are Cruise Critic group cruises, including ours to Tahiti next August. There's no down side that I know of for our group cruisers. The reduced group rates are less than I've found with any other online TA. We get onboard credits and some CC stuff.

The only thing group cruises HAVE to do TOGETHER is cruise on the same ship! Everyone can make their own decisions to participate in any OPTIONAL group activities we put together or "do their own thing". Group cruisers can get together some of the time or not at all.

There's certainly no obligation to do anything with the rest of the passengers booked as a "group". Just lower cruise fares and optional activites. The best of all worlds!

The upside is for the T/A, they book the large groups so they can get 1 free berth per 16 paying passengers. If the hold and book 50 cabins they use the free ones to increase the bottom line. Some may think that is devious. It actually is good business. The people in the group receive a good rate and the T/A can make a living. In these days when commissions are being reduced and or eliminated (see airline rules) the have to make something. That is the reason I am no longer a T/A. You just can't make it without these type of deals.

Archived