Epilepsy and cruising.

Newtocruising1985

Hi people,

I'm hoping to take my mum onboard Britannia next year, however I was wondering about the noise level in the bars/theatre and the sailaway parties.

My mum has epilepsy (which is well controlled, hasn't had a fit in 15 years), however it can be set off by excessive noise. She is ok at concerts in big arenas - these usually tend to be very loud! - can anyone advise me on the noise level onboard.

Is it as noisy as a nightclub or loud concert or is it a quieter volume?

Thankyou :)

Hi

You do not need to be involved in these areas.

Sail away in your circumstances,. why would you want to attend?

The music venues can be loud, again you do not need to attend.

Horses for courses

Never had a problem, but have always been aware of where to avoid.

Thankyou for your reply, my mum (70) may not attend some of these venues but as a newbie to cruising I was asking a simple question.

However I am only 33 and will be wanting to go to them.

Hi

You do not need to be involved in these areas.

Sail away in your circumstances,. why would you want to attend?

The music venues can be loud, again you do not need to attend.

Horses for courses

Never had a problem, but have always been aware of where to avoid.

I'm in my 60s and I don't find the show lounges to be too loud, nothing like an arena concert anyway. You can have a conversation without having to shout. And I wouldn't class a sailaway as too loud either. We don't go to the shows in the theatre but some people on here have said they can be loud. The bars are not too loud either, they can have live music in but again I don't find it intrusive.

I hope you and your mum have a great cruise.

I don't particularly like loud places but have never found anything on P&O ships too loud in any of the lounges and generally the shows in the theatres are OK but I would warn anyone who has epilepsy that some shows use pyrotechnics that can be loud and there are also very bright flashes in some shows.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with the above. I think if your mum is okay attending concerts and things she'll be fine in the theatre shows and definitely at sailaway parties. The only concern may be strobe lighting etc in the theatre shows, however on our recent cruise there was always announcements before each show if they were going to be using strobes/pyrotechnics etc. The music in other bars isn't especially loud either, you can still lean over and talk to the people next to you.

Hi people,

I'm hoping to take my mum onboard Britannia next year, however I was wondering about the noise level in the bars/theatre and the sailaway parties.

My mum has epilepsy (which is well controlled, hasn't had a fit in 15 years), however it can be set off by excessive noise. She is ok at concerts in big arenas - these usually tend to be very loud! - can anyone advise me on the noise level onboard.

Is it as noisy as a nightclub or loud concert or is it a quieter volume?

Thankyou :)

Not too loud at all, good levels to still be able to have a conversation.

The theatre singers can be a bit screechy, but still not particularly loud.

Have a fantastic time.