Question on Family Oceanview cabins

twinzmom

Hi,

I've noticed that the family oceanviews seem to all be at the very front of the ships. If you've seen or stayed in one can you tell me if the location means there is lots of vibration or noise or anything that would make us not choose such a cabin? I had always heard to avoid the very front due to vibrations, but I'd love to hear first-hand accounts. Thanks very much.

Former HAL (Maasdam, Westerdam, Rotterdam) and RCCL newbie?

We are booked on the Explorer Nov. 3, 06 In Family Oceanview #7200. It seems like a great cabin. Its for 3 of us My wife, my motherinlaw and myself. Gave up an Aft balcony #8690 for it, hope I did the right thing.

While I don't think I'd have given up a balcony for it, I'm excited about ours. We are sailing 1/22/06 on Rhapsody. We just booked last week and the main reason we chose this one was that we needed three rooms and both FOS were available on the fourth floor. I am really excited about having the kids close by and a little extra privacy. It seems so much roomier. I will definitly report when I get back and let ya know how it went.

We enjoyed RFS 8020 in June aboard the Rhapsody, and even more fun, we upgraded at the dock. It gave my teenager her own room, bathroom and closet. The kids bedroom has 4 bunks, and double glass windows. The bathroom for this area is at the cabin door and we had our own private bathroom and closets.

This was heaven on Earth, as school was just out, my wife is a teacher and our daughter had studied like crazy for finals. The living area was a great place for the iPod and speakers that made this a nice place to relax and listen to music.

The balcony is smaller than the other suites on the 8th floor, but the room also had a full length fixed window that we really liked.

• 4 weeks later...

My family of 5 were in a family stateroom(9200) on the Voyager a couple of years ago. We LOVED the stateroom. No problems with vibrations and the view was incredible. We had lots of room, never felt cramped with 5 people (2 adults, 3 children) and we had places to store luggage. We will book the room again in a heartbeat - if we can ever find it available when we can afford to sail!:) Happy cruising!!

we sailed on serenade of the seas in dec in the family oceanview ,8500,we thought it was fantastic,in fact one of the best places to stay on a ship we had two big windows just under the bridge,so as you can imagine,the view was fantastic.the windows had little ledges so we could sit on them and watch the world go by.we watched the pitons come in to view, fresh out of the shower all warm and cosy,unfortunately ,this year, we will have to go to the heli pad with everybody else due to lack of funds,i hope the people in the cabin enjoy it as much as we did.:)

I can not answer for the Noise questions since evry ship would be different in that aspect.

But as for location and sway of the ship:

It is a common fact that the closer you are to mid-ship the less sway you will feel. So, putting the deck # number aside, the farther up front or back you are, technically you should feel more front to back sway.

Now, as far as deck # - the high on the ship you are , then the more side to side sway you will feel (even at mid-ship). I have hear many people say that it is better to be up high if you get seasick but this is simply not true. You can ask any engineer. To show you why: Hold your arm straight out in front of you the bend your forearm uowards at the elbow, now move your foreare from left to right. This shows you the sway. You can see that your hand sways more dramatically than arm down by your elbow. The lower you are the less sway.

So, for anyone who gets seasick and the patches don't help when you sleep... book a cabin as low and toward the center of the ship as possible.

Archived