Seasickness

Shirleygibbs

On a recent Viking Ocean cruise, I forgot to bring meclizine/bonine. I went to the medical center and it was given out free. I was told Guest Services also has a supply for guests. From past experience, I won't use a scopolamine patch. Besides the 'dry mouth' issue, I felt nauseous for several hours while back on land after patch removal (a side effect for some). I have not had this response with meclizine/bonine. With meclizine/bonine the trick seems to be taking it -before- you are seasick.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, SarahDevorah said:

We are just booking an ocean cruise with Viking. I’m traveling with someone who is very afraid of sea sickness and is prone to it. She does wear bands. I remembered the big ships like Celebrity where it was like a moving city so you feel nothing. I assured her it was this way, as did the Viking sales agent. Now I’m seeing it’s often not. Is this the typical experience? We are in the middle of the ship. 

My wife has had issues with that in the past, but absolutely none on the Viking cruises we've done--both ocean and river.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ReturnCruiser said:

On a recent Viking Ocean cruise, I forgot to bring meclizine/bonine. I went to the medical center and it was given out free. I was told Guest Services also has a supply for guests. From past experience, I won't use a scopolamine patch. Besides the 'dry mouth' issue, I felt nauseous for several hours while back on land after patch removal (a side effect for some). I have not had this response with meclizine/bonine. With meclizine/bonine the trick seems to be taking it -before- you are seasick.

I agree with all you have said, except that there was one time that we were on a bus and there was a fellow at the back who was very sick from motion.  I gave his wife some meclizine to give to him and by the time we got to our destination about an hour later he was in fine shape.

Personally, I would never leave it that long and in fact, I always start meclizine 2 days prior to travel.

Regarding the scopolamine patch, I have known people who have used it and were very ill once they returned home and stopped using it.  

I always take bonine and wear the bracelets on my wrist. We left from Los Angeles  going to Hawaii and it didn’t dawn on me we were on the Pacific Ocean! One hour after leaving port (I didn’t have my bonine) my sea sickness set in. Went to medical on the ship and they always have motion sickness pills. I took them everyday for the 32 day cruise and wasn’t sick again. They also offered a shot if the pills didn’t work.