Buying cabin upgrades when boarding

KnoxvilleSam

When we took our first Celebrity cruise almost 3 years ago (on the Mercury on western Caribbean), I asked the agent when boarding whether there were any upgrades available, and she sold us an upgrade from a balcony to a Sky Suite (with a huge verandah) for $200 per person. Is there any way of finding out ahead of time (like the day before) whether such upgrades might be available. We're scheduled for a 12-day cruise of Mediterranean on Millenium in June and wondering about asking for upgrade when we check in in Venice.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Knoxville Sam

The best thing to do is just keep with with the open inventory for your trip. I like checking on travelocity to see what rooms are available at a given time for our cruises. Then when I arrive at the ship I have a pretty good idea what will or could be available. Good luck.

When we took our first Celebrity cruise almost 3 years ago (on the Mercury on western Caribbean), I asked the agent when boarding whether there were any upgrades available, and she sold us an upgrade from a balcony to a Sky Suite (with a huge verandah) for $200 per person. Is there any way of finding out ahead of time (like the day before) whether such upgrades might be available. We're scheduled for a 12-day cruise of Mediterranean on Millenium in June and wondering about asking for upgrade when we check in in Venice.

Thanks for any information you might have.

Knoxville Sam

Even when you think there is/isn't a particular cabin available, you can be surprised when you arrive at the pier. 24 hours prior to our last cruise, there was a Royal Suite available. I was the 1st in line at embarkation. No Royal Suite. Guess they upgraded someone else in advance via the Upgrade Fairy, since it's not possible for them to sell a cabin to a new person (not already on manifest) 24 hours in advance.

Anyway, get there early so as to have one of the first shots at a purchased upgrade, and ask directly to be directed to the Pier Coordinator. This person will typically be on one extreme end or the other of all of the check-in desks. That person will have a schedule of from/to upgrade prices for any remaining inventory on the ship, and will be able to tell you what's possible and what's not, and for how much.

There's no percentage in trying to call Celebrity, as you're guaranteed to pay full retail that way. Wait until you get to the pier and see what you can do.

Archived