Explorer, Sept 28

sdrocks

Not being familiar with Astoria, Oregon, does anyone have any recommendations as to excursions ? We would not

do hiking, etc as my husband does not have that endurance, but not seeing anything Royal offering as being very

"exciting". Has anyone ever gotten off the ship and done something on their own ? Such as exploring Astoria itself

by a private tour or whatever ? It doesn't seem as if it would be a widely known ship stop ? But maybe others have

been there as tourists in other venues ?

Also is the solarium pool covered ? Not sure whether to pack a swimming suit or not ?

Thanks

We're locals (Seattle) and did this cruise last year, and are leaving this Friday to do a repeat. Last year in Astoria we rented a vehicle and did a short road trip to Seaside and Cannon Beach, less than an hour away, but it may be too late for availability for this year (although you might as well check, and maybe even call that morning an hour or two after the ship docks and ask if there were any no-shows though, as many rentals require no deposit). We went through Enterprise (walked there, about 15 minutes away) and they were super super swamped, line out the door, as it is a tiny place, and many had the same idea as us. They were decently efficient though and we didn't waste too much time. They do bus trips out that way, but I hate large group bus trips and having only a set amount of time, and renting a car was hardly more expensive.

This year we plan to stay in Astoria (we hardly saw any of it last time) and just do the "riverfront" walk and check out some breweries and shops and such. Wouldn't be surprised if we were back on the ship early. Last year they actually did 2 of the 4 ice shows the afternoon we were docked in Astoria, so enough people must skip it or come back early for that to make sense for them (that and they probably want to leave the second sea day free as a back up in case the seas are too rough for any of the earlier shows).

Agreed it is not a very exciting port at all, nor it is often visited by cruise ships...it is the only option between Seattle and San Francisco though, and you can't get too far south of SF and still make it back to Seattle in 7 nights. All in all its an awesome deal for a cruise which leaves from the NW. Going under the bay bridge in SF was a highlight, as is the overnight there.

Also, a pro tip, even though the pools and main hot tubs are outdoors, there is an indoor hot tub in the middle of the (indoor) gym. We always had it to ourselves. I think it closes a tad early (9 or 10pm?), so just double check the hours.

We visited Astoria last fall on Explorer, We had no advance plans. Walked front the ship on the river front walk. Maybe 1.5 or 2km to the end. Many seals could be seen from the walkway. There is a maritime museum at the end of the walk that I found very interesting if you like that kind of thing. Across from the Museum is a fish and chip stand in an old boat that people rave about, it was very good. Walked back through town, many small shop restaurants and a brew pub. We really focused on plans for San Francisco on this cruise. We thought Astoria would just be a throw away port, but it was one of the best days of the cruise. Hope this helps.

We visited a few years ago and also did a DIY tour with a rental car. Here are a couple of posts from my travel blog that might give you a few ideas.

http://ocdplannercindy.blogspot.com/2015/09/2015-pacific-nw-coastal-cruise-day-3.html?m=1

http://ocdplannercindy.blogspot.com/2015/09/2015-pacific-nw-coastal-cruise-day-3_20.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the same cruise and have the same ideas as tortoisegirl, walking and visiting local breweries (Buoy Brewing Co, Astoria Brewing Co and Fort George Brewery) as well as the Cellar on 10th for wine and the Bowpicker, which I think is the fish and chips place.

I did research a car rental this day because I was interested in the RCI Willamette Valley Wine Tour, but did not want to be on a bus all day. Enterprise website says the car rental location is only only 9-12 Saturday. Not sure if they extend it when a ship is in port, but ended up not going that route.