I need hotel suggestions for a LAX/San Pedro port departure

afairbro

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The breakfast thing at Residence is actually pretty good.  Probably not as impressive as DT, and certainly nothing like one at Westin, but it's more than a lobby buffet, a little of everything, including a waffle maker.  And it's included and since I don't even pay for the room.......  Westin is nice and there actually is a Westin in Long Beach (similar to Renaissance) and it is a Marriott now.  Their buffet in Vancouver is one of those "whoa buffets" and being right there in the hotel was great.  We left our luggage at the room, went to breakfast, and waited for the bus to take us over to the dock.  There was actually another Westin across the street from the dock.

Just check around Long Beach, San Pedro, Torrance.  I had  a list of about 16 hotels and that was just the ones where I could get a free night.  I have Hilton points, but not enough and that would have required opening a new credit card to get enough intro points.  I am already there with Marriott and Choice.  Then check out all the rentals in the proximity.  And if you don't car about being an hour from the dock or so, there more near the airport.

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Andrew,

There are several Enterprise Rent-a-Car locations in Long Beach...it is a big city with a population over half a million.  But, assuming you are talking about the Downtown Long Beach location (rather than the one in East Long Beach or those up by the airport--which is quite a distance from the pier), then the closest hotel is the Renaissance--which like Enterprise, is on Ocean Avenue, just the next block east...But the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt Centric at the Pike and the Westin are all also within only about three short blocks from Enterprise...And the Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown can be reached easily from there using the FREE Passport shuttle...

I do think Santa Monica is a great place to stay as there is lots to do there and it is a great tourist atmosphere.

As to all of the talk of late on this thread about Torrance, let me explain to those folks that staying in Torrance gives you an entirely different sort of trip.  I actually like Torrance--for some things--like if you don't want a real vacation experience, just need a place to park yourself for the night and the hotels on the West Side are too expensive for you and the ones in Long Beach are all booked (like on Grand Prix weekend).  But, other than that, know that Torrance has some drawbacks.  First, though it is about midway between LAX and the Harbor, it is not particularly close to anything tourists want to see...And the area is relatively boring--picture 1950s suburbia built around a large shopping mall.  Assuming you have a car rental, you are going to have to figure you'll be in your car to go anywhere...otherwise, you're hanging out at a suburban mall and eating at chain restaurants.

Staying in Long Beach, you have the convenience of being near your ship and you have a few attractions--like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary...and the area is set up to be attractive to tourism.  Staying in Santa Monica, you have what most people think of as the Los Angeles experience--an attractive beach with a great p[ark on the cliffs overlooking it...with great sunsets...The carnival-like attractions of the Santa Monica Pier...the Third Street Promenade--a pedestrian only with interesting shopping and street entertainment of all sorts...and more interesting restaurants...plus you are close to some very unique attractions such as the Venice Boardwalk...and not too far from Beverly Hills, the Getty Museums and other interesting sights...

It all depends on what someone wants for their vacation...Do you want to really enjoy those days?  Or just have a pleasant experience and some things to do and ultimate convenience?  Or do you just want a place to crash and kill time?  It is all up to everyone individually--we all have our own standards and criteria...

I agree.  My situation is different, in that I am not looking for the stay before for anything more than a night to crash, eat without a lot of hassle, be nearby and drop off a car that I will have had for three or four days.

There is a lot of good stuff to see, but I have seen it.  Aquarium should be seen, but only if you have time.  I see Torrance as a place in the middle where you could go in either direction.