small ship vs big ship

jennilynn5050

my dh and I are thinking about taking a cruise soon. We took one almost 2 years ago for our honeymoon- Mariner of the Seas with RCI and had a wonderful time. We are thinking about taking another one- with MSC on Opera (my husband has found a great deal). My only concern is that I sometimes get mildly motion sick.... should this be a big concern... for you cruising experts- do you tend to feel the motion alot more on the smaller cruise ships than on the big ships like the Mariner?

There's no way I would put the Opera in the small ship category. At 59,000+ tons, it's not a small ship by any means. Small ships are ones like Seabourn, Sea Dream, Silversea, Windstar and Oceania, who carry 650 passengers or less. The Opera carries more than 1700. While she may not be as huge as the RCCI ships, she is by no means small, and the motion should be exactly the same as on any other large ship. If it's going to be rough, even the big boys get tossed.

Yes, you will feel more motion on the smaller ship. Having sailed the Voyager and then last month Rhapsody, I can definitely say that I felt a lot more motion on Rhapsody even on the smoother days.

However, don't let motion stop you from taking a cruise that you would otherwise do. Talk to your doctor and get a prescription for a motion sick medicine. Start taking it as soon as you board and then again every day.

Archived