Question on Driving to White Pass

msweeble1

Debbie-

We did this last year, and it was a very nice and EASY drive. We went mid-July and rarely saw any other traffic on the roadway. I don't recall it being all that winding.. it's certainly not a narrow road, and has sufficient shoulders. A very stress-free drive!

I've definitely seen a lot worse roadways here in California!

We are debating whether to ride the train (4 adults, 2 kids age 6) or rent a van to drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake. I would prefer to drive but am concerned that, if it takes too long, the kids might get sick of being in the car. On the other hand, I think they'd love to see the puppies and ride on a wheeled sled! Can anyone who's done the drive (with or without kids) tell me how long it takes and whether it's prefereable to the train? (It's certainly less expensive!)

The drive takes 5-6 hours depending on your stops, Beth. As to which is better, they are very different experiences, and each person will have different ideas on that. I'm a railfan, so the train was an easy choice for me on my first trip 21 years ago. With a family, I'd probably choose the drive for $ reasons as well as the much greater variety of experiences available to you all.

Murray

We rented a van and made the drive last June with an 8-year old. On the way up, most of the pullouts were crowded. Instead of stopping, we made notes of places to stop on the way down. We only stopped once -- because we had a nice view of the train.

By doing this, we were the first people to Caribou Crossing. We'd been there for a while, playing with the goats and puppies long before any of the cruise busses showed up. The 8-year old talked about the puppies and the sled wagon ride for days!!!!!

Then, as we headed back to Skagway, we stopped at the pullouts

Thanks everyone,

Maybe we'll be able to talk my SIL into doing it with us.

Yukon- I'll be sure to read your website.

Where can you rent a van? I checked on Avis and they don't show that you can get a van.

Thanks,

Debbie

We were not able to reserve a van via Avis website. We reserved 2 cars. When we got to Skagway, we asked about a minivan instead and they were able to accommodate us.

The Skagway office is seasonal. You may have better luck if you call the Anchorage office. Also look at http://www.avisalaska.com. There are some phone numbers there. Plus there are some special rates if you sign up with for the Preferred Renter program (Look under Deals/Programs on the website).

There are also some independent car rentals in Skagway.

Archived