Alaska DIY Land and SB Princess Star 9/8-9/15 Review - Destination Focus

Tippyton

John Hopkins Glacier.  This area had just opened up - was normally closed due to seal calving.  Unfortunately the sun was going behind the mountain so the pictures are not ideal with the lighting.  I think I said in my writeup that clouds add an element of drama and contrast I wish we had

00100001250.JPG

00100001263.JPG

00100001258.JPG

00100001254.JPG

Bears. 

The 1st picture is of a weir structure used for taking a salmon census.  Bears use it as an ambush point, although we found them further down stream a bit.  One bear we saw right next to the road was under some trees and it was really dark.  She stood and rubbed her back on one of the trees.

On our last AKL cruise, in Skagway we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake.  Lots of bears, scenic stops, and on our own schedule.

00100001302.JPG

00100001303.JPG

00100001305.JPG

00100001308.JPG

00100001310.JPG

00100001317.JPG

00100000725.JPG

00100000726.JPG

On 10/25/2018 at 11:10 PM, Tippyton said:

My goof!:classic_wacko:. The 4th we were in Fairbanks, took the train the 5th to Denali.  6th in Denali, 7th Denali to Anchorage, 8th to the boat.

We booked the train and the Princess Denali Lodge through AT&T.   Would have booked both independent but the Gold Star service and the lodge showed no availability.  AT&T has or gets access to the "hidden" blocks of rooms and seats.  When I first contacted them they said they would need to confirm availability and we were plenty early.  A couple of days later all was good.  They had a good cancellation policy also.  We didn't like the lodging options they had on either end.  They acknowledged they were working on boosting that part of their offerings.

Train was about 4 or so hours on the 5th and almost 8 on the 7th.  

On the 8th in the morning we had breakfast and messed around, got picked up at 1230 pm headed to Whittier via the 2 hr stop at the wildlife center, arriving around 430 pm at the boat.

Hope that helps fellow Texan!!!  (We're in DFW area!)

Hi!  I am not a fellow Texas (but I did live just north of San Antonio for three wonderful years!).  When you say you booked through AT&T, do you mean the cell phone provider?  If yes, I did not realize they had a travel department.  I would assume this is if you have a contract with them?  Or, is it a different AT&T agency?  Thank you so much!  We will be there in August, and can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Mendenhall Glacier.  Two things to note here.  At :03 you can hear one of those distinct cracks I referenced in my writeup.  Also, at :15 I am zoomed into a channel that runs out of sight to the right.  The tide was going out, and the current was probably 20-30 mph.  It doesn't look very fast but the ice face is like 350 feet tall.