Dog friendly cruise just announced!

Wilson

Obviously just kidding, but for all of you dog lovers out there my wife wants to know if anyone sees a dog friendly cruise in the future. Of course she is talking about pets and not trained service dogs. This should make for interesting posts. Hey, I'm tired of reading about walkie talkies, how to sneak on alcohol, unruly kids, inconsistent customer service reps, etc...anyways...let's see what happens.

Well I love dogs, lets start with that. I have owned several over my life, although currently I do not. With that said: never no way can't happen!! I know alot of Hotels are saying yes these days but you know how people are. They allow thier pets in the bed, they have flees, they sometimes want to leave thier mark (pee), they shed, occasionally they snap at others, and is everyone going to carry little plastic bags to catch the ****?

Just wont work...

Well that was a dirty trick. I love my silky terrier. I was ready to book! I have always wanted to take him with me on a cruise. I hate leaving him behind.

Thanks a lot! :mad:

Sorry, I did not think that it would upset anyone. Just wanted to get readers attention. She too loves her little Dobie, all 78 pounds, and would love to take him. We would take 2 or 3 cruises a year if he could go. She worries the entire time we are gone that her mother is not taking care of him.

Your post did not upset me at all and I love dogs too but they need to stay at home. Animals do not belong on a cruise ship. I do not want to put up with dog and cat hair along with fleas and other things in my cabin that could be brought aboard. I can only imagine the clean up that the crew would have to deal with.

like I said I love dogs (especially if they belong to someone else) LOL...

I bet you'll get alot of responses on this one. People on both sides of the fence. Maybe a cruise right before it is going into drydock and total refurbishment it would be fine. Ok Ok It still wouldnt work.. Great thread though..

My wife and I went on QM2 in 2004 when the ship was still pretty brans new and at that time they were supposed to be in process of opening a kennel on board. I haven't looked for it since until now, but if you go to the Cunard website and navigate until you find the QM2 deck plans you'll see "Kennels" on deck 12.

We're dog lovers, I think about as much as you can be as we don't have kids (but 4 dachsunds, 2 cats), but I don't think I'd ever take one/any of them on a cruise. Too much to worry about, and I don't know if it would be a good experience for the dog anyway.

Good luck if you try it.

A. P.

I had no desire to bring my dogs while they were alive. But I have to tell you they were cleaner, and more well behaved than many children I have seen onboard.:( Of course now I will be flamed as a child hater!

My daschund would only got to pee in private She was so smart, I am sure I could have trained her to go in a litter box or even a potty :rolleyes: .

Obviously just kidding, but for all of you dog lovers out there my wife wants to know if anyone sees a dog friendly cruise in the future. Of course she is talking about pets and not trained service dogs. This should make for interesting posts. Hey, I'm tired of reading about walkie talkies, how to sneak on alcohol, unruly kids, inconsistent customer service reps, etc...anyways...let's see what happens.

I left out the smily faces. I was being a smarty. It didnt work.

My apoligies. You didnt upset me. But for one I would love to take my dog ona cruise.

What about a charter cruise for dog lovers? Of course we would need to get the biggest newest ship out there. I hear RCI doesnt have any trouble cancelling peoples cruises to book charters.

Suggestions? :D

If they can put an ice rink and rock wall on board, they can designate an area for grass and gravel.... don't you think??? I would think they'd want to do the charter thing... so people who don't like dogs aren't around (I don't care if I'm flogged... my dog is the best, and he does NOT have fleas). Only people who brought friendly dogs would be allowed, and kibbles and bits would be a permanent fixture on the menu. How much fun would that be??? No one on the charter cruise would complain about allergies, and they'd have dog friendly excursions... it would be so much fun!!! We hate leaving that adorable little golden retriever face at home... even to be gone for one night. Awwww.... poor puppy. Freedom would be just that much better if we could take him too.

LOL

Seagull goes by... there goes 50 labradors off the back of the ship!

Look! A dolphin! Two German Shepherds, 17 golden retrievers, six rotweillers and nine dachshunds launch off the top deck!

Think the islands have problems with stray dogs now.

My shepherd rules all dogs ever, but, well... it was fun thinking about it for a few minutes.

Everyone would hate my dog. He is 20lbs and thinks he is the boss of everything. We got him from a rescue place 6 months ago and are still working out the quirks. At home he is fine but on a cruise ship I can guarantee that he would try to mark every nook and crannie on board. He barks at all other dogs and will try to put his front paws on them to make himself taller than them. I think he has Napolian syndrome. When he is on a walk and sees another dog he rears up and walks just on his back legs trying to get at the other dogs. He is crazy. He really is very cute and lovable. Just needs to get used to dogs and unfamiliar places. Then he is fine.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

what a nice dream!

this past fall I saw a new dog-friendly activity that I thought I'd never see.......

The week-end after our water park officially closed down for the season they had a dog day. They were going to have to drain and sanitize the pool for the winter, so the dog rescue club convinced them to open it to dogs and owners to play. Everyone had a ball!

I love dogs. Other peoples dogs. I've not owned one for years and have no future plans for a dog in my home. Not necessary, we have dogs on 2 sides of us and we get to hear them bark, all day, every day we are home. One dog is OK, it stops when we speak to him (her?) and let it know we're not going to break into their house. The other dog? Bark, bark, bark, pause, bark, bark, bark, pause, all dang day. Neighbors complained the dog barked when they weren't home, so they got him a companion, now it has another dog to bark with.

So, the thought of your furry friends on a cruise ship does absolutely nothing to excite me. Leave them home. Not everyone loves to hear barking dogs, some of us love peace and quiet.

ROFL.....I have three dogs, so it costs as much for me to board them, or hire a petsitter as it does for me to go on a cruise. Frankly, for me, it would be a huge distraction to bring my dogs on a cruise. One of the best things about cruising is not having to de-hair my clothes every day. :)

BTW, there IS a K-9 cruise every year. No dogs, but some of the most respected names in dogdom giving lectures and presentations. I always thought it would be fun to go. I know many of the presenters, and they are excellent. Do a google search for "K-9 College Cruise". I don't want to link it directly, as it is a page on a TA website, which is a no no here.

Tracy

Wow! Can I bring all 3 of mine??!!! 95lb, 75lb and 45lb.

I think the helicopter pad could be grass...

But then again... I have a hard enough time adjusting myself from being pampered and well fed for a week... my dogs would turn their noses up at their regular food after returning and expect cruise treatment from me ALL the time when we got home.... wait, they get that now.

All I can say is DW and I clean the dogs pQQp from the yard while they watch... who do YOU think is in charge?

Sorry, I did not think that it would upset anyone. Just wanted to get readers attention. She too loves her little Dobie, all 78 pounds, and would love to take him. We would take 2 or 3 cruises a year if he could go. She worries the entire time we are gone that her mother is not taking care of him.

Ah, if we only lived near by we could help each other out. (PA) I have the same problem. We do hire a house/pet sitter but still worry.

Archived