Edinburgh's Military Tattoo

JLC@SD

We are on the Golden Princess British Isles Cruise sailing August 10th.

The Tattoo has been highly recommended by friends and we booked tickets for a precruise performance on the internet.

Are there any suggestions or tips about it, I understand the seats are small and it will be crowded.

Be prepared for any type of weather, the show will go on rain or shine. I think it has be truly miserable weather (by Scottish standards) before the show is cancelled.

Restroom facilities are limited at the event, but they are available.

It is a fantastic show. I understand why many return year after year.

When we were there on 16 August 2000 (a beautiful night) there were people SMOKING in the very crowded seats, Hopefully things have changed now. Take a spare jacket for a cushion and a rain poncho. It was an amazing performance and setting in the Castle and we loved the South Australian Police Pipe Band.

Just enjoy. It will be crowded. I'd recommend a few 'pints' in one of the great pubs on the Royal Mile, but as Spongerob mentioned the WC's are few. They have passed new regulations about smoking since 2000. Also they will be building new permanent seating in Princess Street Gardens, so enjoy the castle gate view while you can.

Hi, as a scot (from the west coast admittedly);

The weather in August tends to be predictable, normally warm and sunny. If it rains, it will still be warm though.

The royal mile is being ripped up and redone to correct all the holes that have appeared in it, this is predicted to take roughly a year, so it will probably still be taking place when your here.

Smoking in enclosed public places becomes illegal at the start of March 2006. As the tattoo stands are open air, it just falls on common courteousy.

Being tourists (no offence intended) you may not mind paying the 'slightly' higher prices for drink in the pubs on the royal mile. If you wonder down one of the side streets, the prices drop dramatically. Look out for Wetherspoons or Scream branded pubs they tend to be reasonable.

Many on our ship (2005) were scared off because Princess announced that there was no rest stop and no rest rooms at the Tatoo. As it turns out, we had a very pleasant "comfort" stop on the way there. Also, there are portable toilets at the Tatoo. The facilities are not the best, but the show is fabulous and worth the inconvenience. The seats in the grandstand are so small that overweight people had problems fitting in them. Bring a snack because there is no time for dinner.

How does the excursion work... you drive to Edinburgh from Greenock? do you have free time before or after the Tattoo to walk along Prince's street?

We have decided to do Scotland on our own before the cruise. The four of us (my identical twin brother and our wives) will fly into Edinburgh five days early, rent a car and do some touring around Scotland.

We are still planning the pre Scotland itinerary, but we booked the best available seats (on line) for the Tattoo on the 7th, before the cruise. We will fly straight to Southampton on the 9th ($60.00 one way) to get the ship on the 10th.

We can fly San Diego to Edinburgh and then Southampton to San Diego for the same cost as San Diego - London - San Diego.......:) ..... And we get to avoid Heathrow.......:).

So with four sharing a car it works out great. We will need tips now on where to go in Scotland. St Andrews is at the top of the list since we golf.

How does the excursion work... you drive to Edinburgh from Greenock? do you have free time before or after the Tattoo to walk along Prince's street?

I'm assuming you're wanting to go shopping. If they do trips into Glasgow city centre, thats a better option, the 3 main streets (Sauchihall, Buchanan and Argyle) form a Z shape in the centre, and is where the majority of the shops are located. Most of the shops in Edinburgh's princess street have 2 or 3 stores throughout these streets in Glasgow.

St. Andrews is an easy 90-minute drive from Edinburgh. You can stay on the main highway, or go along the coast through the various villages on the way. Either way it is a pleasant drive. We hired a Blue Badge guide to take us up there. You might want to check out the Scottish Tour Guide Association web site to see if hiring a guide with a car might work out for you for the time you are visiting, or even for a day trip. The lady who took us up to St. Andrews was a lot of fun and really knew her stuff.

If you plan to play golf, the St. Andrews Links has a great website with lots of info. Remember, walking is the rule. Carts are permitted only for those who have difficulty walking.

I'm assuming you're wanting to go shopping.

No, not really, I have been to Edinburgh several times, I just wanted to go for a walk with my daughter, I love Prince's street.

I just wanted to understand.. do you get of the bus and go stright to your seats and then back to the busses after the tattoo... or do you have time to go for a walk?

No, not really, I have been to Edinburgh several times, I just wanted to go for a walk with my daughter, I love Prince's street.

I just wanted to understand.. do you get of the bus and go stright to your seats and then back to the busses after the tattoo... or do you have time to go for a walk?

Ahh,

We'll if you know what time the ship docks in greenock, and what time your tour returns to the ship.

The quickest you will get from Greenock to Edinburgh is 1 and half hours. But dependant on the time, and traffic on the m8, I'd estimate you'll be around 2 hours getting there (assuming not during rush hour).

You'll love Scotland! We were there last summer (on our own, not with a cruise) and had a great time.

My husband got three games of golf in. We stayed at Westin Turnberry hotel, which allowed him to golf the old course. He also pre-booked a round at Kingsbarns in Fife. He loved both of those courses.

But of course the highlight was St. Andrews. He got to the course between 6:00 and 6:30 am and waited for a single spot to open up. He was put with a threesome by 8:30 and had the time of his life. You could also try the lottery the day before you want to golf (which he couldn't do, as a single golfer).

Have a wonderful time!

If you time after the Tattoo, stop off at the Witchery Restaurant located literally steps downhill from the Castle. Have reservations for the best possible evening in Edinburgh -- the Tattoo and the Witchery!

BTW, I have been to the Tattoo twice. It was a truly wonderful experience, but, quite frankly, once you've seen it, you've seen it.

Maybe because I do Scottish events here in the states year round.

My husband got three games of golf in. We stayed at Westin Turnberry hotel, which allowed him to golf the old course. He also pre-booked a round at Kingsbarns in Fife. He loved both of those courses.

My hubby just stayed at the Westin Turnberrry and played there and Kingsbarns & St Andrews... his favourite was Kingsbarns, just loved it!

Love that lighthourse at Turnberry and that humpy island thing out in the ocean!

Archived