ATM fees in Italy

cruz4natic

4 hours ago, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

I look up the Visa network and it lists where I can withdraw cash. For example, here are the Visa debit ATMs in Rome:

https://www.visa.com/atmlocator/#(page:results,params:(query:'rome, italy')) 

Oops, duplicate response to what I said last year when this thread was started.  Never mind...

Edited by lisiamc

4 minutes ago, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

Okay, I've been to Europe several times and have never had a problem with my ATM card except when I tried to wothdraw an amount above my limit.

We live in Italy half the year (although who knows after Brexit!) in Le Marche, outside the main tourist zone.  The bank we have an account with stopped accepting foreign debit cards at the bancomat a few years ago, but luckily, the one across the street started doing it.  Both bancomats are members of the VISA network.  We have also had this happen in Lucca and Forli, at a couple of banks.   When it does happen, we’ve found that trying another bank usually works.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Looking for ones that are outside (or in the lobby of) actual bank branches is one strategy. Something like this is very common in larger cities/tourist areas:

image.png.7048bb50bd0d770c7df46ea0561c6ba6.png

Otherwise you can look for the name followed by "Bank" or "Banca,"  or learn the names of a few of the more common banks in the countries you'll visit, I guess.

Thanks for the info!  My concern was finding these ATMs in the tourist area.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Most ATMs in Europe will give you a chance to do the transaction in 4 or 5 languages, including English. It will be the first or second screen you see. Select the British flag symbol.

I agree with the suggestion to look for actual, physical bank locations.

My main concern was finding the bank ATMs machines.  I read about having the option to select the language you desire.  Thanks for you information!