What to do for a half-day in Rome with limited mobility?

UtterCaro

My redeye flight arrives at FCO at 8:25 a.m. on a Saturday next month. I am staying at a B&B in Fiumicino that night, then taking a cruiseline (HAL) transfer from FCO to the Civitavecchia port on Sunday morning. My plan is to leave my bags at FCO and just carry a day bag/tote so I won't be too encumbered if I go into Rome on the Leonardo Express.

The main problem: I'm a very slow walker who uses a personal oxygen concentrator (POC), and I'm likely to be nearly exhausted upon arrival, because I've never been able to sleep a wink on planes. I do not have a wheelchair or scooter; I'm just really slow and wheezy under the best of circumstances. Add in jetlag, and I'm likely to be a wreck.

So what I'm seeking is a low-activity way to see at least a tiny bit of the Eternal City before my B&B opens for check-in at 2:30-3:00. I'm not seeing anything on TripAdvisor that looks both appealing and workable; maybe I just haven't drilled deep enough. I plan to drop coins in Trevi Fountain, so at least I'll have a return trip to anticipate, preferably with a lot more time (and perhaps a scooter in future).

Any recommendations? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I don't want to be so close to fabulous Rome without being able to get a taste of it due to physical constraints.

I am in almost the same shape as you and have visited Rome twice. We will be there again in a few weeks after our cruise.

M’y husband and I took an ‘ electric bus along a route that circles an area around the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and thé Spanish Steps. I am sure you can get some information from Trip advisor as I just saw the route posted there a few weeks ago.

While it is not a hop on hop off bus, you can get on and off as we did to go to the different areas. I know it stops near the Pantheon and near Campo Di Fiore.

If you wanted to spend some serious dollars you can do a golf cart tour of the monuments which is an excellent way to go if you have a disability. We are hoping to do this tour when we go.

Hope this helps. And, by the way, neither a scooter, a Rollator nor a wheelchair would be of much use in Rhône. We learned the hard way. We were perennially stuck in the rugs on our first trip so now we no better. The Rollator actually worked best for us, but my arms were very sore at night.

You might want to hop over to this board and ask your question. There is a wealth of information:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks. I'd thought of posting this there, but the Europe Disabled Cruising subforum seems to be mostly about wheelchair/scooter use, which isn't what I'm asking. I'm hoping to find some Rome experts here. I do appreciate your kind suggestion, though!

It does indeed. The electric bus sounds interesting, and I'm sure it's a lot more affordable than a golf cart tour. (Forgot to mention that I'm on a tight budget. Those tours are outrageous!) Thanks, Knolmom.

We have taken the electric buses in Rome. They are part of the public transport system, so only cost just over a Euro. They go around the narrow streets that are not really wide enough for a normal size bus.

Last time we were in Rome there were three different routes, but I have an inkling there is only one now.

If you are travelling with somebody else you can borrow wheelchairs FOC in all the museums and your companion will get free entry.

You will find better info on the Rome Forum on Tripadvisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums